This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

A new month means new music obsessions for me and my April has had quite a soundtrack. Every month I like to compose a monthly playlist of songs of any new music that I find or any songs that I re-discover and listen to on repeat. These are my top tracks for the month of April.

Supermarket Sleuth” by E. Bobby G. 

I found this song as I was mindlessly scrolling through artists’ Amoeba “What’s In My Bag?”. When I heard the video play it, I instantly went to Spotify to add it and also went through the rest of this album. I’d never heard of this artist before, but I thought the album cover art was very colorful which made me interested. It’s a super chill electronic album and he just goes crazy on the organ. 

That’s What Makes Me Love You” by The Regrettes 

Off of the new album they just put out, this song is just so cute and wholesome. I was surprised by their new pop sound but this song stood out to me from the rest. The lyrics are about having little arguments with your partner, even silly ones, but how at the end of the day, the two of you still love each other and want to be together. 

Hard to Believe” by Wallows

This and the rest of their album which I just reviewed here, was very enjoyable and so good! I loved the progression and all of the different stages of this song made it really fun to hear. 

I’m in a long distance relationship at the moment, so I found myself listening to a lot of yearning songs this month. 

I’ve had Beach House’s “Home Again” on repeat from their album, Devotion. The vocals are just so ethereal and dreamy. Like with every Beach House song, it made me feel like I was floating along with her voice and just drifting with the ever so beautiful lyrics. If you’re in an LDR, this will hit differently and give ya a good cry.

If I Was a Folkstar” by The Avalanches (ft. Toro y Moi) 

Another yearning song with a sad sounding beat. I struggled so hard to find the sample of this song and eventually found it. It samples artists’ Tony Bagwell “Love Is a Many Splendored Thing” (1974). Toro y Moi’s vocals on this just makes the song that much more emotional with the lyrics “Let’s wake up side by side // Let’s stay here ‘til we die.” This was my most listened to this month forsure. 

Will I See You Again?” By Thee Sacred Souls

This song is so pretty and if you’re into soul you’ll love this one. It’s a modern soul band, but it has the sound of an oldie. There’s lots of chemistry between the male and female vocals and it’s so beautiful. 

Witches” by Alice Phoebe Lou

This is my first time listening to this artist and I really liked this song’s style. I loved the twirly, weird organ sound in the intro and admired her raspy prominent voice when it got to the chorus. Definitely gonna look into her music more!

California” by The Growlers

One specific thing caught my attention with this song and it was the lyric “No drug can compete with the sun // One gives you life and one makes you blue.” This song really encapsulates the love for California and its everlasting sunniness. It’s got a good countryside feel to it. 

(Ummmm, Oh Yeah) Dearest” by Buddy Holly

This is such a sweet and mellow love song. I always adore Buddy Holly’s vocal hiccups and the way he says “Ummm yeah” pairs great with the lovely guitar. 

And lastly, I absolutely couldn’t stop listening to “Kepler-22b” by King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard 

The band released this as one of the singles from their newest album they just dropped and I loved the groovy, steady beat from this track. On Instagram, the band said that they sampled a jazz song “Yemaya One” for this song after finding it in a record store. I can’t get over the way they sing “Obsession is good for ya,” ugh so good. 

I think my April on repeat was very new and fresh with lots of different sounds with new music releases and songs I revisited. I’m super stoked to see what May has in store for its playlist and I just love discovering new sounds all the time. 

Jasmine Aguirre

UC Riverside '21

Hi! I'm Jasmine (Jay) & I'm a 4th year Media & Cultural Studies major. I aspire to communicate through written word, in hopes that we can all learn something along the way & I love sharing all of my interests. I have a huge passion for anything music related, as I want to someday become a music journalist.