This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Justin Paul Vallesteros, a.k.a. the founder and brains behind Craft Spells, is one of the most underrated musical geniuses. Yes, it’s a huge statement to make, but I completely stand behind it. He crafts dreamy, sophisti-pop music and records everything by himself, only enlisting the help of his band when it comes to touring. The lyrics are simple yet packed with meaning, and he creates such beautiful riffs that I can’t get out of my head. Not that I would want to, anyway.

His songs make me feel like I’m skipping through fields without a care in the world. Anything that makes me forget the stack of textbooks by my side is a winner in my (non-text)book. I personally love listening to his albums while I get ready in the morning to get into a Zen state of mind.  

Craft Spells currently has two albums out, Idle Labor (2011) and Nausea (2014), and an EP, Gallery (2012). Here are three of my favorite songs. I hope you enjoy!

Craft Spells – Komorebi

Craft Spells – After the Moment

Craft Spells – Party Talk

I'm a fourth year, creative writing major who enjoys thrifting, idolizing David Bowie, and consuming inane amounts of hazelnut coffee.
UC Riverside

UC Riverside