This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Today was an event I’ve been wanting to go to since my first year of college: More Than Spoken Word. The event is a poetry night held by UCR’s Associated Students Program Board. The poets included student volunteers and known poets: Rhiannon McGavin, Lily Myers, Natasha Hooper, and Edwin Bodney. The event also had free bunt cakes and aguas frescas – which was amazing! 

The atmosphere was giving off  underground hangout spot vibes because of the way the lights were dimmed, and the stage was lit up with candles and a tangle of vines. The tables shined against the spotlight and the poet’s also had their merchandise at the back of the room.

One of the things I enjoyed was the poet’s being part of the crowd. The dim lighting allowed for the poet’s to easily blend in with the crowd. I also enjoyed how each one of them brought their own personalities to the stage.

Photo by Daily Bruin

Beginning with Rhiannon, there was definitely a strong presence brought on the stage to kick off the night. What stood out the most about Rhiannon was how she seemed mysterious at first glance, but brought out a sense of vulnerability in her poems. For example, she discussed the concepts of taking back her first kisses which was significant to me in the way she was able to define her own romantic experiences on her own terms. Rhiannon carried strength and feminism with her words. 

Photo by YouTube

Next, and my personal favorite, was Lily Myers. Lily talked mainly about adolescence and it stood with me because she also discussed losing friendships and the path to becoming a woman. I really enjoyed how poise she was and also how she maneuvered through unconventional topics like periods and her partner reacting to them. Her work also stood with me she allowed me to reflect on the memories I have from my teen years regarding old friends, old relationships, and old insecurities. Her work felt reassuring because of the sense of familiarity her work could have to my own life.

Photo by Band Is In Town

After Lily, things began to get loud. Loud in a very endearing way! Natasha brought energy, laughter, and high audience interaction. However, although having a larger than life personality we were immediately thrown into heavy topics such as cancer, mental health, racism, and so on. A fun moment though Natasha brought to the stage was an ode to Megan Thee Stallion’s powerful knees (hot girl summer isn’t over y’all).

Photo by YouTube

Lastly, things ended up in a heartbreaking way. In terms of poetry that is. Edwin Bodney also carried the large energy into his stage presence. Mixing in poems with stories of Trader Joe’s and flying around the states made his poem’s more significant because he shared intimate memories of his past relationship with us. His talk of break ups and not being able to go to a certain place because of a past lover was relatable to the audience. 

Overall, this was such a memorable experience for my first poetry night. I’m glad I was able to attend it in the comfort of campus as well as be able to feel like I was in a safe space. Due to this, it solidified my choice of performing at next year’s event. If you have the time, I would highly recommend going to poetry nights because you’ll be able to self-reflect and get a better idea of yourself and the moments you have lived through.

Mya Benavides

UC Riverside '21

Lover of kindness, music, and creating. Undergrad at UCR pursuing a B.A. in Sociology along with a Minor in English.