Mo Money, Mo Problems

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Or in a college student’s life, what money? Between tuition hikes, paying for rent, utilities, and food, spending money literally adds up. It is safe to assume that we all have stressful schedules between classes, studying, jobs, and internships. What we all need is some time to unwind and let loose. It’s good to relax and have fun, but sometimes we just don’t have the money to do so. Here are some places that I’ve enjoyed while living in Riverside. So just take a friend, or two, or maybe even ten, and take advantage of some cheap ways to have fun while you’re at UCR.

1.  Watch a movie.

Sometimes, the cheapest thing to do for a hangout or date night is to just watch a movie. But with rising prices, can we afford to watch a movie with a $10 price tag? I don’t think so. However, there are some alternatives that Riverside, and its surrounding areas has to offer.
There is a drive-in theatre on Van Buren Blvd. that shows movies, including new releases for $7 per person. If this price seems a bit high, remember that you can bring as much food as you want in your car without any ushers telling you to throw it out before you even enter the theatre. And the best part is that you can talk as much as you want with your friends without getting shushed. The biggest perk is that you get to watch two movies for the said price. And if you want to save even more, head over to the Regency theater near the Moreno Valley Mall where you can watch older movies for only $2!

2. Downtown fun!

If you’re looking to buy some artwork or you just want to appreciate some pieces and performances by local artists, try the Artwalk that’s held on the first Thursday of every month. If you want a change from the Starbucks and Coffee Bean scene, check out Back to
the Grind, a coffee house near the corner of University Avenue and Orange St. It has a vintage feel (plus, they occasionally have live music!) and the owner is very welcoming. If coffee isn’t your thing, they also have a variety of smoothies, pastries, and pizza’s as well. Also, be sure to check out the Riverside Newspaper for monthly events that are held downtown such as the Festival of Lights during Christmas, Day of the Dead celebrations, or the Chinese Moon Festival and several other events.

3.  Grab a bite to eat.

Contrary to what many students think, downtown Riverside isn’t just full of boring offices. There are severeal small (and cheap) eateries scattered all over downtown Riverside and little events that happen every month. Are you hungry for some Mexican food? Then try the Tamale Fa
ctory, located next to the Mission Inn Hotel. Most of the meals are below $10. How about some atypical American food? There is Phood on Main, also located near the Mission Inn. They pride themselves in having great American food with a twist, such as their Bavarian Pretzel and Ham or their Salmon BLT. I recommend going for lunch because their dinner plates can get pretty expensive.

All in all, these are just some of the suggestions that you can choose from. Even though I am a local, I still don’t know all of the things that Riverside or its surrounding cities has to offer. But remember! It’s not where you go, but the people you go with that makes the difference!

Nicole Martinez

UC Riverside

Nicole is a senior at UC Riverside where she is majoring in Media and Culture studies. She co-founded the Her Campus UC Riverside chapter her sophomore year in college. She loves to spend her free time watching The Mindy Project, Girls, Pretty Little Liars, and other shows with leading ladies. She also dabbles on tumblr, instagram (obviwearetheladies), and twitter. Mindy Kailing and Shoshanna are her spirit animals and in the near future she hopes to achieve elite status on Yelp, pursue a career in Public Relations and ultimately conquer the world.