‘MIDNIGHTS’ IS A MUST LISTEN

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

In honor of the queen Taylor Swift dropping her 10th studio album “Midnights” this past weekend, I have decided to put you on some of my personal favorite tracks! If you love pop music, “Midnights” is a must-listen. Many fans, including myself, are excited to see her stepping back into the pop music arena. Taylor has delivered yet another masterpiece— I mean, she is a mastermind after all. So here are some of my recommendations if you’re going into your first listen!

Lavender Haze

This song is an amazing and attention grabbing opening track. It really sets the tone for this album with a darker but smooth feel. It’s refreshing to hear some more autobiographical music from her since she has moved away from doing that previously. This track is an upbeat love song about her relationship with her current boyfriend Joe Alwyn and I am here for it! 

You’re On Your Own, Kid

When I first saw the track list for this album I had no idea what to expect from this one, but I assumed it would break me as most track five songs do. Update: I was right. The bridge of this song specifically is what did it for me. The genius herself is known for being one of the best at writing a spectacular bridge. Some examples of my favorites are featured in songs like “Out Of The Woods”, “Champagne Problems”, and “Death By A Thousand Cuts”. 

Labyrinth

I am lost in the labyrinth of Taylor Swift’s mind. If there’s anything I love about Taylor, it’s her ability to write a breathtakingly vulnerable love song. In this track she voices her fears about falling in love again after facing heartbreak in the past and she does it flawlessly. She captures the immense amounts of fear and excitement a person feels as they enter a new relationship almost like getting on a rollercoaster. Everything about this song makes me want to cry in a corner and I love it.

Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve

This song is a part of the seven additional 3 A.M. tracks which were basically put out as a deluxe edition to the album. This song in particular is a standout track for me. Fans suspect this song is about singer John Mayer, who Taylor dated when she was only nineteen. The subject matter describes the harmful effects of being young and getting involved with an older partner. It’s very reminiscent of “Dear John” off of Taylors popular album “Speak Now”, and is just as heartbreaking. Definitely listen to this song if you need a good cry. 

Maroon

This song is the definition of perfect. It has the boldness of “Red” and the darker sound of “Reputation”. To be completely honest, I just can’t get enough of this track. In each of her albums, Taylor Swift gives us one song so gut wrenching and disquieting yet so freeing you can’t help but scream it. For Midnights, that song is Maroon. 

There are so many more songs that I wanted to include but these have to be my top five. However some of my honorable mentions include “Karma”, “Sweet Nothing”, “Snow On The Beach” (Feat. Lana Del Rey), and “Mastermind”.

This album has everything that you need to make you dance, laugh, and cry like a baby, so give it a listen! You won’t regret it!

Rina Ahuja

UC Riverside '24

I am a third year Psychology major that enjoys writing. I also enjoy trying different coffee shops, listening to music, and exploring new places.