Making the First Move: How to Approach Your Crush

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Need Advice? Then ask away, it’s totally anonymous. Annie answers not only your relationship advice, but academic, personal, and just about anything! http://bit.ly/HJ9sLC

So I have a tendency to hesitate whenever I want talk to a cute guy that I crush on. I just don’t know how to approach him, especially when he is a complete stranger. I have done it so many times, and I’ve regretted each and every single hesitation. I don’t know how to break away from this tentative streak! I’m not shy at all, I like to talk and get to know other people, guys included. But male friends and potential boyfriends are completely different. Any helpful advice?
-Ms. Hesitant

Dear Ms. Hesitant, 

You have come to the right place. I shall be the guru to helping you nab your college crush! Okay well not exactly, but I’ll try to be. So we’ve all had or have that one person who catches our eye, but when we want to walk over and approach them we’re completely stuck. And it’s totally normal for you to become tongue tied, even if you’re quite a loquacious person. He makes you nervous, and you can’t approach him. Personally, I find myself getting nervous because I start to over analyze everything. Will he think that I’m weird because I’m talking to him out of the blue? Does he know that I think he’s drop dead gorgeous? So if you’re anything like me, S-T-O-P the over analyzing. If not, here’s still a few ways that you can approach this cute fellow or any other crush in different situations that you might find yourself in.

1) Sit Next to Him
This is great if you guys have class together because you’re guaranteed some sort of interaction. You can strike a conversation about the course, ask about the lesson, or talk about how nutty the professor seems to be. 

2) In Line at a Coffee Shop/Fast Food Place
Ask him what he recommends you try, talk about what’s great on the menu, or what isn’t. As long as you approach him in a friendly manner, then I’m sure it can only go well.   

3) Anywhere You Happen to Find Yourself
Strike up a conversation about anything! As long as you don’t ask him if he wants to father your children, or anything along those lines, then I can’t see how anything will go wrong. Remember, guys are generally friendly when you approach them. It’s usually girls that get hostile when you invade their personal space. 

If anything, my best advice to you would be to just go for it. You honestly have nothing to lose, and the best part is that you’re more then willing to break this tentative streak of yours. So instead of wondering “what if?” just go for it. It only gets easier from there.

Best of Luck,
Annie

Nicole Martinez

UC Riverside

Nicole is a senior at UC Riverside where she is majoring in Media and Culture studies. She co-founded the Her Campus UC Riverside chapter her sophomore year in college. She loves to spend her free time watching The Mindy Project, Girls, Pretty Little Liars, and other shows with leading ladies. She also dabbles on tumblr, instagram (obviwearetheladies), and twitter. Mindy Kailing and Shoshanna are her spirit animals and in the near future she hopes to achieve elite status on Yelp, pursue a career in Public Relations and ultimately conquer the world.