This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Last Saturday on November 7th, 2020, history was made. Joseph Biden, the oldest president to be elected in the office and more importantly Kamala Harris, was elected not only as of the first VP in history, but the first womxn of color to be elected in the White House. 

Kamala Harris visting King Elementary School in Des Moines
Photo by Phil Roeder from Flickr
Her win means a lot to womxn everywhere and especially to girls like me. I moved to America when I was five years old and I loved watching movies. Growing up I always thought it would be difficult to make it into Hollywood for Indians because well, I never saw that many on-screen. There was no representation. Similarly, when I was in third grade I ran for the school election to become secretary of the student council and I remember after winning jokingly saying to my parents that the next time step was to become President of the United States. Even as I said this and as much as I wanted this to be true, there was a tiny doubt in my head wondering if this was ever going to happen for girls like me.

Kamala Harris happily proved my doubts wrong and became the first lady and womxn of color in the White House.  This shows major progress in the thoughts of American citizens everywhere and raises hope in the future. Mindy Kaling said that she was crying as she held her daughter and said “Look baby, she looks just like us.” It is safe to say that this summarizes the feelings of many across the country. Kamala winning shows how much progress has been made in the past years. Kamala winning represents that one truly needs the skills, talents, and hard work to achieve anything. As she said in her victory speech, she may be the first but she definitely won’t be the last. Although we are 244 years late, we finally made Madam Vice President into reality and not just a fictional character.

Rithika Nair

UC Riverside '21

Hi, I am a 21 year old college student attending UCR who loves movies, books and adventures! :P
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.