LØLØ gives the ladies a dose of pop punk feels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

When it comes to the world of pop punk, the realm is mostly dominated by some amazing all-male bands ranging from classic blink-182 to more recent Hot Mulligan. While there are some notable ladies in the pop punk scene like Avril Lavigne, Stand Atlantic’s Bonnie Fraser, and Hot Milk’s Hannah Mee, there just aren’t many ladies in pop punk, and even fewer solo acts.

Enter Lauren Mandel, better known as LØLØ. Her latest EP, “Debbie Downer”, delivers the thrilling catchy riffs and lyrics that classic pop punk has, all while packing a uniquely feminine punch. While singles from the album have been released throughout 2022, the EP also features two previously unreleased songs: “boohoo” and “asking for a friend”.

The EP cycles between the highs and lows of love, selfhood, and mental health. The title track features bouncy guitars similar to those of Green Day, solid rhythm and a vocal feature from Maggie Lindemann as LØLØ sings about her alter ego. “Debbie Downer” is a woman who is made fun of by her peers for being depressed, but despite these criticisms she has no trouble being herself. Despite the heavy subject matter, this song is no less catchy and continues in the tradition of extremely peppy pop-punk with really sad lyrics.

These themes of mental health continue in the second track single “THE FLOOR IS LAVA!!”. Here, LØLØ laments about a bad mental health day over strong power chords and rising vocals in the chorus. This song is a love letter to everyone who has ever felt the “door… getting farther” during a mental health crisis, reminding the listener that it’s okay to not be okay.

Shifting gears, the following track “u turn me on (but you give me depression)” serves as a follow-up to another single that is placed later in the album, “junkie”, reflecting on a relationship that has gone sour. Described by Spin Magazine as “an excellent summer anthem for anyone who secretly hates their partner”, this song eviscerates a relationship that died a long time ago. Conversely, “junkie” discusses the highest highs and lowest lows of crushing on somebody, to the point that you become dependent on it.

The two previously unreleased tracks, “boohoo” and “asking for a friend”, however, tone things down and reflect on the serious side of growing up and facing mental health issues. “boohoo” reflects on growing up too fast and wanting what has now passed us as adults, and longing for times when things were easier. And closing out the album, “asking for a friend” ends the album on a somber note, featuring heartfelt vocals and quieter guitars and drums that feel reminiscent of blink-182’s classic “I Miss You” as LØLØ sings about someone struggling with their mental health and contemplating the end, reiterating “What would you say if she went away? / I’m just asking for a friend.”

Overall, the album is a classic pop-punk album that honors the genre’s predecessors while paving a new path for this rising star. This EP is absolutely worth a listen for anyone wanting a short break from the usual male-dominated sphere in favor of some fun, fresh and feminine anger and joy.

Evelyn Homan

UC Riverside '24

Hiya! I'm Evelyn, and I'm a fourth-year English & Creative Writing double major, as well as an Honors student researching independent studying in the 21st century. I love literature, midwest emo and goth rock, alternative fashion, and talking. A lot.