Lizbeth Lopez: Soon to be UCR Gradauate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Basics

Age: 21

School Year:  4th Year

Hometown: South Los Angeles

Major: Environmental Science

What do you think is your best attribute?

My best attribute is that I can easily empathize with and understand other people because I’ve experienced a lot in my life. I can always find a common ground.

Are you involved in any on campus activities?

Yes, I am currently Treasurer of my sorority: Alpha Pi Sigma. I am also involved in the RAZA Assembly and I am on the board team as the Fraternity and Sorority Liasion, as well.

Who is your celebrity crush?

I have two celebrity crushes — J. Cole and Immortal Technique. I admire them because they are educated and intellectual individuals whose music is also embedded with powerful messages.

What is your favorite thing about UCR?

My favorite thing about UCR is our citrus station and the oranges they produce. They are amazing!

What made you want to pursue your major?

Environmental Science was the major that interested me the most because it encompasses multiple studies like biology, chemistry, politics, social sciences, etc. I love learning and being able to synthesize all the information for a common good.

What inspires you and motivates you in life?

My inspiration lies within being the best person I can be, not only for my family, but also for the world. I hope that one day making it a better place to live in. My motivation is stemmed from turning wounds into wisdom and striving for progression.

Describe your dream home.

It would depend on whether I’m married or not. If not married, my dream house would be a small place (4 bedroom), all black and white design, with beautiful scenery of the Hollywood Hills. If I’m married, I would want a larger home in the rural area with a decent-sized ranch, so my children can grow up freely and happily.

What are you passionate about?

I’m passionate about a ton of things, including music. In addition, I’m extremely passionate about helping those who cannot help themselves, especially in this world where the discrepancy between the haves and have-nots is of a large magnitude.

Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?

I envision myself travelling and exploring the world as a successful Latina. Around this age, I will be at the epitome of my career, so I would love to be enjoying my life and career before settling down.

What are your plans after you graduate?

Some of my plans include teaching English in Thailand and getting another internship, all while maintaining a job related to my career to solidify my experience in my field.

Is there anything you’d like us to know about yourself?

If you start rapping a song, chances are I can finish the verse for you.