Webpnet resizeimagejpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Webpnet resizeimagejpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Red Lips and Rosé
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

“Avatar: The Last Airbender” (ATLA) is known as an animated kids television show which premiered in 2008 around the time when we were between the ages of 6-13. Although it is labeled as a kids show, this is a definite must watch, especially during quarantine because  1) it is very interesting, 2) there are life lessons in this show we all can still learn from and maybe understand better now that we are older, and 3) watching the show as an adult is different from watching it as kids. We understand and notice more things that we might have missed as kids. I personally believe that this show is one of the best shows ever created with a proper story line and a satisfying finale which is rare for popular TV shows. The fact that this show still resonates with adults today who are rewatching it with their kids proves how this is a fantastic and must watch show. Furthermore, this show has some inspirational quotes which we can apply in our own lives. Here are some of my favorite quotes from my favorite character, Uncle Iroh, the uncle of the antagonist turned protagonist Prince Zuko who tried to guide the prince in lessons of evil and good.

Quote 1: “Sometimes life is like this dark tunnel. You can’t always see the light at the end of the tunnel, but if you just keep moving… you will come to a better place.” 

This quote is similar to another popular meme where Steve Harvey said “If you are going through hell,keep going. Why would you stop in hell?” Both quotes are basically saying not to give up through your toughest times because there is something always better out there. It honestly is very easy to give up, especially when your goal is far away or your efforts are not producing immediate results. From personal experience, there have been many times when I was studying for a tough subject or I kept applying for a job that I know I am qualified for,but somehow I never get itl. However, giving up in the moment proves to be more dangerous, but if one keeps moving, one will come to a better place. 

Friends Walking Together 3
Breanna Coon / Her Campus
Quote 2- “Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not.”

In other words, don’t give up, sit down, and whine about what you did not get. Life is still going even if you think it has stopped. We all face obstacles to our goals along the way. We could be feeling bitter about the crappy situation we are in our crappy relationships like how your friendship with a best friend broke up or a relationship with your significant other. When you are the person whose heart got broken in a relationship and when the other person seems to move on easily without glancing back at you, it is very easy to become a bitter person and complain about life and to give up trying. Because in the end, as cliche as it sounds, you are in charge of your own happiness. It is very easy to give up and complain. I learned that the hard way when many things did not go my way for the first two years of college, but eventually that cost me a lot of great opportunities that were lying before my eyes and I only realize it now. Regrets are not fun, so basically what Uncle Iroh is saying is that life is going to keep going on around you no matter what place you are in right now. You just have to keep moving forward and letting go of the things not right for you and make the best out of any situation because that could eventually lead to your goals in another way.

Lemon_Tea_In_Hand
Courtney Claassen / Spoon

Quote 3-  “Sharing tea with a fascinating stranger is one of life’s true delights”

You will meet several different people in college and outside of college. In times of the pandemic, social distancing, and social media, it has become much harder to connect with people face to face. It is easier to be on your phone rather than take a chance and talk to a new person or stranger either because you are afraid or you already judged how that person might be without really talking to them. For all you know, sharing your happy or sad news with a random stranger could turn into a new friendship or a relationship. You might never see the stranger again but it can be a nice memory to have. It can range from either a simple conversation in a coffee shop or helping someone out.

Cameron Smith-Girl Smile Happy Colorado Travel Mountains Hiking Trees
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

Last but not least, one major lesson this show has taught me is that ultimately, in the end, you are responsible for the person you become. Prince Zuko made a lot of bad choices for the sake of his father, but he ultimately stops living for the sake of his family and makes the right decisions because that is what’s right. Katara, another protagonist, could have turned the wrong way when she had the opportunity to avenge her mother but she decided not to take that path because it was unethical. Basically what this show teaches everyone is that you will make a lot of mistakes, you will face obstacles and be stuck in unfair situations that you do not deserve, but it is up to you to keep going. We are going to make a lot of mistakes in college,friendships, relationships, and be stressed out about our classes or jobs prospects.Ultimately it is up to us not to give up and keep going because there is something better out there. If we let these unfair situations make us a bitter person, then it is going to be our loss in the long run because no matter what happens, we decide who we want to be, no matter the circumstances, family, and friends might say differently. 

Rithika Nair

UC Riverside '21

Hi, I am a 21 year old college student attending UCR who loves movies, books and adventures! :P
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.