Wellness > Health

Kill Two Birds with One Stone – Vaccine Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

During winter break, I was able to go home and get a bunch of different things done. One of my most important things was to get my flu shot as well as a booster shot. I just knew that I needed to get them before traveling as well as before returning to campus so that I did not get sick easily. I started to look to make appointments and I saw that I was able to get both my booster and flu shot in the same sitting. I thought “why not?” and these were some of my reactions:

1. Arm pain

Despite me getting pain in my arm when I first got the covid shot, this time was a little different because it originally hurt for a couple of hours, and after it stopped while I did any movements. Around 8 hours after I got the shots, my arm began to hurt again. Then the next morning rather than my arm hurting where I got the shot, it was hurting on the bottom side of my arm, so near my underarm area. It was a very different and weird experience since it was not like any of my previous shots when it came to my arm hurting. The pain did not go away for about three days.

1. Fatigue/ muscle pain

My body felt very tired the day after I got my shot and so I spent most of my day in my bed taking naps and trying to relax. Most of my body felt as if I was sick despite it just being the shots that were given to me. This muscle pain in a sense was similar to when one gets a fever but not as bad as when I got my first covid shot.

1. Cramps

This was a little weird for me, and it felt as though they were period cramps. It was the lower part of my stomach and lower back that were in pain so it was hard to stand up straight. I was able to get rid of it but using heating pads. It did not last super long but was painful and weird.

This was my reaction to getting both the covid and flu shot in on go. I don’t know which one of them had a greater effect on my body, but I know together they did their damage to me and hopefully helped my body when it came to both those illnesses. I would definitely recommend it, if you’re someone like me who usually gets affected with vaccines since I didn’t think I would get as sick as if I would only getting one.

Ashleen Herrarte

UC Riverside '22

Ashleen was a UCR Political Science and Philosophy major. She graduated from UCR back in Spring 2022. When she was not writing articles for HCUCR, she was usually spending time with friends by going out to eat yummy foods or watching shows at home. She hopes you enjoyed reading her articles!