Kevin Jo, Not Your Average Sophmore!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Kevin Jo is not your average sophomore at the University of California Riverside. He started joining clubs and getting involved around campus when he was freshman and now he is involved in eight different activities on campus. With this being said, he is not a person who is all about academics, he finds the perfect balance between his social life and academic goals. Kevin, a man with huge aspirations, is doing more than enough to find his true calling for his future. Here are some of the activities Kevin is involved in:

Name: Kevin Jo
Age: 19
Year: 2nd Year
Major: Business Administration
Relationship Status: Single
Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook.com/kevin.joyo

Activities Kevin is Involved in:

• President of Link
  • Part of the Voter Registration committee ASUCR
  • The University of California Student Association
  • United States Student Association
  • Sigma Alpha Lambda Honor’s Society
  • Omicron Delta Kappa Leadership Society
  • Undergraduate research assistant for Sloan Center of Internet Retailing at School of Business Administration
  • Candidate for Senate at UCR

What do you see yourself doing in the future?
To be honest….I don’t know yet that is why I am doing so many things on campus. I don’t know whether or not I want to go to grad school or run a business.  I know for a fact that I do not want to have a desk job though.

What do you envision yourself in ten years?
I would own my own business or maybe take over my parents business. Hopefully already have a MBA degree. I want to grow my families business to a fortune 500 company.

What do you do for Fun?
Well I eat haha, kayak, hike and go thrift shopping.

What do you like about UCR?
I like the people at Riverside, well the people I have met so far are all friendly. Also, UCR is a growing campus so there are lots of opportunities for student involvement.

How do you balance your activities with your schoolwork?
Well, I have a huge calendar on my desk and I write all my meetings and homework on it. I also write what homework I need to finish before I can sleep. I am still attempting to manage my time more efficiently because often times I spread myself too thin.

What motivates you?
A lot of things…..potential success in the future, creating a name for myself and my family, and….my dogs haha.

What was something interesting you did over the past month?
For UCSA we went to the Sacramento for two days and the first day we did a workshop on the problems in California. On the last day, we held rallies where UC students, Community College students and Cal State University Students participated in. We gathered about 10,000 students and marched to the capital. I also went to Washington D.C. for the same cause.

Anything else?
For USSA, we did the same thing but it is at Washington D.C. instead of Sacramento. We went to workshops and on the last day we held a protest outside Sally May, which is a loan lending company. They are the number one profiteers off of student debt. After the protest, myself and other UC Riverside students lobbied congress member Calvert, congress member Baca, congress member Issa and congress member Hunter.

Kevin Jo is a good example of a successful undergraduate student in UCR because he is involved in school while managing his school work. Getting involved is not mandatory but does create more fun and unforgettable experiences. So you should go ahead and join a club or organization that you may be interested in.  Who knows maybe you will run into Kevin in one of the meetings.

Monica Pena is a sophmore at the University of California Riverside and is originally from the valley of San Fernando in the city of Los Angeles. Monica and her room mate Nicole Danille Matinez both enjoy writing and are now Co founders of the UC Riverside Her Campus Branch. Monica dreams of moving to New York and going to Law School. Aside from Law school, she is a fanatic of fashion and writing and also wants to pursue a career in journalism.