This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Joker’s Lessons 

People go to the cinema to get inspired. Watching the joker helped me understand the duality between a person’s true self versus the perception others have of them. Recognizing the political and social implications of this movie, Joker has taught me a couple of things about what it means to embrace and empower one’s own personhood. Joker grew up ostracized and without a lot of human interaction. As a fast paced society, we are at times numb to the idea of what it means to sometimes look within ourselves.

(Photo by Know Your Meme

1. The Art of Humor 

Although, the Joker’s laughter was seen a psychological problem he utilized the idea of humor to instill a sense of inner hope. It was placed in situations of violence such as the TV show scene. There are dark instances of humor being placed in inappropriate situations, however the Joker uses this platform as a means of truth. Regardless of the truth being dark and ugly he reinstates and reimagines a place for people to gather and find community within their own struggles. 

(Photo by Screencrush

2. Putting Others Before Yourself

Even amid his own public backlash, the Joker was able to put his mother’s needs before his own. Bathing her every night and feeding her was his main priority. His character became maddened by the sense of public outrage and brutality, however in his own life the person who he had his main connections with became an embodiment of care and selflessness. 

(Photo by The Tylt

3. Mask Off or Mask ON?

At the end of the day, as people we have our constant moments of who we are in public and the persona that may unravel within our homes. There’s an unknown fear of truly embracing who we are. The fear of judgement is among us. Its a real fear that even the Joker had to confront. The idea of the mask, especially the clown persona, unveils a deeper intrinsic desire to be known and to be heard. Even though he elicited the side of a villain, Joker’s narrative pushes us to confront the realities within our own lives; to possibly live free with our masks off.

Yale Chung

UC Riverside '21

An artist. A learner. A proclaimer. Lover of words and empowerment. In my free time I enjoy listening to personalized narratives and petting my dogs. I am a firm believer in freestyle dance and ice cream.