It’s Okay to be Single! Here’s why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

In our culture, being alone romantically or otherwise often marks you as an outsider or often a loser. I am 20 years old and I have never been on a date. For most people this doesn’t seem like a big deal. For me a person, who is obsessed with all things romance and constantly struggles with weight issues being single, can feel like the end of the world. I know how it feels to watch your friends jump from boyfriend to boyfriend and you’re still sitting in your room alone watching a sappy romance movie. All you can do is listen along as your friends talk about their first kiss or who they lost their virginity to. But, I’m here to remind you that all this is fine! Over time, I found it gets easier to let go of these thoughts by learning to laugh at yourself and stop worrying so much about the way you think people feel about you. I know it can be hard so I made a nifty list to guide you through the road ahead.

Learn to Love Yourself.

I mean that in every sense of the word.  You is kind, You is smart, You is important! Yes, I went there but it’s true. We come in all shapes and sizes. Appreciate what you were given. Wear what makes you happy, treat your body like the temple it is, and explore yourself. Remember you are the owner of your body! Learn what makes you tick, fantasize! All you need is yourself. Have Fun!

Let Go!

And enjoy your freedom. Finding a person that shares the same interest as you can be hard, the good thing is you’re single and can explore. So what’s holding you back? Catch that movie you’ve been dying to watch. Go to that restaurant you haven’t been able to try! You might find people along the way that also share your interests, but if you don’t that’s fine too.

You have the rest of your life in front of you!

You probably hear this a lot but it really is true. It can be hard to remember at times, but you have the rest of your life to decide who you want to be with. Don’t put so much pressure on yourself to find someone. Let nature take its course or don’t, that’s the beauty of it all, it’s your decision. Your story will be all the better when it happens.

Enjoy your other relationships.

Take time to enjoy the people around you. Deepen the connections with your family and friends. Try forging new relationships; even if you are an introvert this is the perfect time to put yourself out there.  Create meaningful and enriching relationships that will improve your life

You’re not alone

There are plenty of people out there who feel like they are forever alone (myself included). Learn to accept that there is nothing wrong with you! Appreciate what you have, whether that is your family, friends, job or finally catching up on all your shows!

Daisy E Soto

UC Riverside

Born and raised in sunny California. Daisy would learn the ancient ways of the 'valley girl.' she would go on to graduate from an unknown high school in Fontana and move to Riverside to study with the highlanders. She is in a committed relationship with her English bulldog, Toby and her television. Daisy idolizes authors such as John Green, Jane Austen, and Susan Elizabeth Phillips and hopes she can be a speck as brilliant as they are in the future.
UC Riverside

UC Riverside