Indie Horror Film: It Follows (2015)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Horror films nowadays are overstuffed with character clichés and usual run-of-the-mill plotlines, however, It Follows, is a refreshing and creepy entry into the horror genre. The plot is simple, yet the film is comprised of a deeply creative theme. After being involved in a sexual encounter, a young woman is stalked by a mysterious supernatural force.

A lot of information is left out of the story in order to leave more to the imagination, such as the origins of the supernatural force, known as “It”, which are unclear, therefore leaving it up for viewers to interpret where exactly this supernatural thing or creature came from. In addition, viewers really don’t know much about the female protagonist, Jay’s (played by Maika Monroe) backstory nor very much about her friends either, except that she’s a college freshman starting her fall term and she’s dating a somewhat older guy who she doesn’t know much about.

The main theme in this film is the loss of teenage innocence, which connects to Jay experiencing sexual assault from her hook-up. The curse of being stalked by the supernatural creature is like a sexually transmitted disease that one cannot escape until they pass it on to someone else. Jay is conflicted with carrying the curse’s burden of being followed, which will ultimately lead up to being murdered unless she passes it on to another person. Although her sexual encounter with her date was consensual, it was as if he had indirectly assaulted her by passing on this sexually transmitted supernatural curse. The film’s message is that young adults should be cautious when engaging in sexual acts or to remain abstinent, so one won’t be at risk of contracting an STD or STI.

The film emphasizes that once one becomes a young adult, there is a step towards loss of innocence, such as underage drinking, hook-ups, smoking, and others. Jay is leaving behind her childhood and transitioning into college, but it seems as if “It” not only symbolizes sexual violation, but one’s childhood slowly walking behind and reminding one that growing up can be terrifying.

The film relies on atmospheric horror to escalate the suspense and eeriness throughout the film. The main character experiences a feeling of paranoia that someone (or something) is constantly creeping behind her, which expresses the universal human fear of being trapped in a relentless nightmare. This film is memorable, frightening, and solidly acted with brilliant cinematography that pays homage to ’80s horror films such as The Shining (1980). It Follows is an unconventional, unique, spine-chilling horror that is definitely worth seeing on the big screen.

Rating: 9/10

Anna Busch

UC Riverside

Hello, hope you enjoy reading my articles!
UC Riverside

UC Riverside