This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Out” is a short animated film released by Pixar on Disney+. The short film is a groundbreaker for Disney because the protagonist is gay. Disney has made multiple attempts to show LGBTQ representation across multiple films like the live-action Beauty and the Beast, Avengers: Endgame, and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, but these representations have been met with controversies. Out demonstrates that Disney has taken a step in the right direction.

Disney World's Walt and Mickey Statue
Pixabay

SPOILER ALERT

The short film tells the story of Greg who is afraid to tell his parents about his sexuality and his boyfriend, Manuel. To help Greg get over this fear, two magical beings, a purple cat and a pink dog, prompt a transformation between Greg and his dog, Jim. During this transformation, Greg realizes his parents support and love him. At the end of the short, Greg introduces his parents to Manuel, and the magical beings leave on a rainbow.

multicolored LED heart on wall
iamjiroe

“Out” presents a creative story with relatable characters and amazing animation. At the beginning of the film, “Out” claims to be “Based on a true story,” but it takes its plot to a new level by including fantastical characters and circumstances. The story’s transformation element shows a resemblance to Jordan Peele’s Get Out, but does it in a much more light-hearted way to appeal to the platform’s audience. The story also includes awkward, funny, and loving characters that represent who we are or people we may know. The stunning animation encapsulates the emotion and the spirit of the characters and the story.

This short film continues the themes of Disney in providing entertaining and original stories about love, magic, and the problems we face as individuals. With this story, Disney continues its efforts to present accurate and realistic representations of members of the LGBTQ community.

Hola! I'm Julissa Guerrero Iniguez. I attend the University of California Riverside as an English major and Latin American Studies minor. During my free time, I like to read and do DIYs.