I’m Starting a Youtube Channel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

I’m a sophomore in college and I’m starting a YouTube channel.

Over the years, YouTube has become a popular medium for entertainment, finding information, and seeking mental health assistance. A well-rounded platform, YouTube has everything from “How I turned this school bus into a full-time home” to “scariest Internet urban mysteries” to “college admission advice.” YouTube creators can dabble as a hobby or dive right in and make it their career.

So, why am I starting a YouTube Channel? For one, I enjoy the creative experience. My channel is a university vlog and lifestyle channel, where I can share my daily life. I have found that one of the best things for my mental health is to adapt as much of my life into an aesthetic I love. If I can make my studying and study habits more aesthetic, I can push myself to accomplish my study goals. Filming my studying and posting it online holds me accountable; if I get distracted, blow off my readings, or ignore my work, everyone can see.

Secondly, the videos I want to make are similar to the ones I like to watch, such as Munchi and Love, Nika. When I’m bored, stressed, or just looking for entertainment, I’ll often look up a productive vlog, or a clean-with-me motivation video. These videos encourage me to see how other people are living their lives and want to improve my own, or just feel the energy they give off and feel better. I’ve never been more inclined to eat healthier than when I watch someone enjoying healthy food and sharing tips. I love videos that calm my anxiety, and I hope to provide this experience for someone else.

And third, for professional experience. Having a YouTube channel allows one to build a network, practice keeping to deadlines and interacting with subscribers, and obtain a paycheck. As a student doing this in my free time I don’t expect to make a lot of money, and if you’re considering starting a channel you shouldn’t either. I recommend this video on monetization and how long it takes. However, I think the opportunity to have a creative form of self-employment where I can interact with people who have similar interests makes it entirely worthwhile.

Caroline Lesser

UC Riverside '24

Hiya! I'm Cal, and I'm a fourth year Creative Writing major at the University of California Riverside. In addition to writing and editing for UCR's chapter of HerCampus, I'm focusing on my honors capstone project. I love cozy video games, tea lattes, crochet, and language learning. Aside from articles, I write horror and fantasy.