Life > Academics

I’m An English Major. Here’s How I Finish a Paper in 2 Hours

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

When I started college, I already came to terms with the fact that I would be writing dozens of papers. It didn’t help that I decided to study English, a major that utilizes long papers to show proof of academic growth. Once I got into the groove of it, however, I developed a certain technique that cut my work time in half. With finals coming around the corner and certain deadlines coming up, I found it fitting to share my own tips to help people write faster. Here’s what I do:

Create a Small Pre-write

When I say that I create pre-write, I condense everything into bullet points. It looks something like this:

Main Theme: 

-Argument 1:

-Argument 2:

-Argument 3:

Concluding sentence:

Within these bullet points, I write down important quotes to back up my main argument, but only write down the page number rather than the entire quote. This is meant to be a very bare outline, and it is often subject to change as I formulate my paper. Sometimes this can mean changing which argument comes first, or applying a certain piece of evidence elsewhere. Regardless, it is very efficient and gives me a visual of where I’m going with it. 

Break Down the Word Count

Let’s say that I had a 5-page paper due on the importance of LGBTQIA+ rights, and was required to integrate three pieces of evidence to support my argument. If it’s double-spaced, I would have to write 2500 words. If I decided to write 8 paragraphs in total, I would aim to write 313 words per paragraph. Most of the time I don’t fully adhere to this requirement because I go over, but in my mind I find that literally breaking down the word count makes the entire process less stressful. I also opt to write each individual paragraph in wordcounter.net to analyze every single detail closely. This has helped me catch any spelling and grammatical errors. 

Play Fast Music 

This may sound odd, but I have lost count of how many times I played a 10-hour Mario Kart soundtrack to focus and speed-type. If it wasn’t a soundtrack, it was Megan Thee Stallion, Doja Cat, or a rap artist that had fast paced music. I essentially used my childhood stress that stemmed from gaming as a means of finishing something that brings stress to my current self. As counterproductive as it may sound, I have made significant progress.

Treat Myself Afterwards

I usually plan this before the entire process, but integrating my own reward after a paper is something that motivates me to do well. Depending on how grueling the assignment is, I will either get boba, shower and do skin care, or even go out and buy a small celebratory gift for myself. This not only grounds me, but brings a sense of relief after I finish something that can be emotionally draining. 

The process of writing a paper varies from person to person. Some people may struggle and take hours to write, while others may be incredibly fast and get it done within minutes. My entire process might not even be beneficial to others, but I hope that some people can utilize these tips to make their work time a little easier. 

Kayla Batchelor

UC Riverside '23

I'm an English major that is dedicated to writing about mental health, entertainment, relationships, politics, LGBTQIA+ issues, and literature.