I Need to Find a Job!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Need advice? Then ask away! It’s totally anonymous! http://bit.ly/HJ9sLC

I’m on scot jobs and there are like NO jobs that a freshman can apply for under student on campus employment. I don’t qualify for work study and I really need a job but it’s just not working out because there are no openings for freshmen because most of the jobs are reserved for work study students. I’m so frustrated!! I need a job!!!!! -Non work study student

Dear Non Work Study Student,

I can tell you’re freaking out by the many quotation marks. Yes, our school does seem to only hire people that are on work study, but don’t fret because there is still hope!

• Have you tried going to the RSO (located behind Banockbourn) to apply for a dinning job? Subway should be hiring soon! You’ll have to call them several times to make sure that you get hired but hey, it’s worth it!

Also, I know you want an on campus job since it’s probably more convienent, but desperate times call for desperate measures!

• Try getting a job at the UV, you can go apply at the Regency Theater, or any of the restaurants there. You can also apply for a job at Boba Tea House, or the little cafe next to it called Paris Baguette!
  • You can also try to get a tutoring job at a school in Riverside but you’ll need reliable transportation for that. 
  • If you’d like to make some petty cash you can also try the physcology building. You get paid for participating in their experiments. No, we’re not talking about brain surgery or anything along those lines but maybe something like looking at placecards and naming what they look like to you, basic stuff, nothing scary.
  • Have you also considred applying to be an RA or a P.C next year? You get FREE housing and like $100 a month or something. Yes, I know one hundred dollars is nearly next to nothing but housing is beyond expensive so I’d say it’s a pretty sweet deal! 

Wishing you the Best,
Annie

Nicole Martinez

UC Riverside

Nicole is a senior at UC Riverside where she is majoring in Media and Culture studies. She co-founded the Her Campus UC Riverside chapter her sophomore year in college. She loves to spend her free time watching The Mindy Project, Girls, Pretty Little Liars, and other shows with leading ladies. She also dabbles on tumblr, instagram (obviwearetheladies), and twitter. Mindy Kailing and Shoshanna are her spirit animals and in the near future she hopes to achieve elite status on Yelp, pursue a career in Public Relations and ultimately conquer the world.