This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Now, for all the March, April, and May babies in 2020, birthdays are technically cancelled because no one can hangout with their friends or other family members. Unfortunately, my 21st birthday, which is supposed to be one of the most special birthdays ever, ended up being celebrated under lockdown. My birthday did not end up too bad, however, due to the many birthday wishes, facetime calls, and promises that a proper celebration would happen once the crisis is over and all of us can go out and breathe the fresh air. 

However, I also knew that my 21st birthday would only come once in a lifetime, so me and my friends got dressed up and had a virtual birthday party through Zoom. All of us got dressed up in our clubbing outfits, raised a toast, and drank together. Some of the games we played through Zoom were fun and that’s what I want to share with my readers who are looking to celebrate their birthdays through Zoom. One of the games played was a game called paranoia. I would recommend at least three or more people play it. The game is basically where one person asks a random question, any question they want, to any other person in the group. The person who got asked that question will have to say the name of anybody in the group who fits that question. Then, the person whose name was called out and the person who called out the name will have to do rock paper scissors. This will determine whether or not the person called will get to know what the question is or not. 

Photo by Gabriel Benois on Unsplash

*Warning: this could possibly change friendships and relationships at the end, but solid friendships will get through this. It’s supposed to be fun! Please don’t hurt your friends in the process of playing the game. 

The golden girls hugging eachother
Giphy

Another game we played was Psych, an app made by Ellen, where you have to answer questions against your friends. It’s a fun game and is sure to make everyone laugh. Overall, it has been an interesting birthday. I’m glad I still got to spend some virtual time with my friends and celebrate what we could of my birthday. It’s no secret though that  we are all holding out hope we will be able to celebrate all the quarantine birthdays as soon as this whole pandemic is over.

Rithika Nair

UC Riverside '21

Hi, I am a 21 year old college student attending UCR who loves movies, books and adventures! :P