This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Not going to lie, this past year has been very hectic. At the beginning of March 2020, I was living on campus with my best friends living the perfect college life. By the second or third week of March, I was back home with my family and doing remote learning rather than living on campus. 

This ended up taking a small toll on my mental health since I was in a completely different environment than I had been used to (especially for taking college classes). I remember how for the first couple of months after moving back, I was always upset and felt very alone. Apart from that, I ended up getting anxious/nervous whenever near a crowd or group of people. I honestly thought that my life was over since I was dealing with such issues that I never had before. After a small time of dealing with them, I knew that I needed to fix my mental health before it completely deteriorated. Here are some of the things I did.

Two women sit at a table and talk
Photo by Christina @ wocintechchat.com from Unsplash

Try keeping a conversation

This was the advice I got from my boyfriend when I told him I would get anxious/nervous around people. At first, I was just nervous interacting with lots of people, but after a while, it was also with new people. I knew that I needed to fix it since I had always been a people person and love created new relationships. My boyfriend suggested that whenever I was at work, to try and hold a conversation with a customer. Whether it be asking about their day or complimenting them, it was just about being more confident and not scared. It took me about three months but I managed to fix it and it’s 100% easier now than it was before to make new friends or even just talk to people.

Getting out of my room

While in college, I spent most of my time in my room since it was basically my home away from home. When I came back to living with my parents, I was always in my room since it was what I was used to. After about two weeks, I felt very enclosed in my room and so I began to go out to the kitchen to do my work or even outside to enjoy the sun. This helped me be happier since I didn’t necessarily feel closed off to the world since I was going outside more.

happy woman removing a face mask
Photo by Anna Shvets from Pexels

Did more self-care things

In order to be happier, I focused on myself a little more. I began to work out which was honestly very useful because I did not feel as tired throughout the day and it allowed me to be healthier. Apart from that, I did skincare which was one of the most relaxing things. While focusing on my skin, I could just relax and think about whatever mask was on my face and sometimes even took a small nap.

three silhouettes in the middle of the road
Photo by Karina Lago from Unsplash

Checked up on friends

Lastly, I think this was one of the most beneficial things. With COVID, I had to move two hours away from where I went to college. This had some benefits and drawbacks. The drawbacks were that I could no longer see my college friends since they were far and it

Ashleen Herrarte

UC Riverside '22

Ashleen was a UCR Political Science and Philosophy major. She graduated from UCR back in Spring 2022. When she was not writing articles for HCUCR, she was usually spending time with friends by going out to eat yummy foods or watching shows at home. She hopes you enjoyed reading her articles!
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.