This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Lately, I have been in a rut where I find myself being unproductive, eating junk food, and feeling unmotivated. This feeling is unusual because I am often eating healthy, exercising regularly, and out of the house being productive. However, week ten tends to make me feel like this every quarter. I feel drained, disinterested, and have no drive to do any work. I’m sure most of you can relate which is why I want to recommend some change in habits to create that spark again. 

Person Stands on Brown Pathway
Photo by Tobi from Pexels

Make a List

Making a list of what you need to get done helps you focus on finishing the tasks. It also organizes what your day will look like. Having a plan will help guide your body and mind to wake up and to stop being lazy on the couch all day scrolling on Tik Tok. I’ve been there before, time wastes quickly when I am on that app. 

todo list
Photo by Emma Matthews Digital Content Production from Unsplash

Do Not Use Your Phone When You Wake Up

It’s very easy to check your phone right when you wake up. This causes you to be in bed even longer. By putting yourself first and not checking your phone right away, it allows you to enjoy your morning routine. The people on Instagram can wait, a post will be on their story for twenty-four hours. It is best if you prioritize your self-care first before worrying about what other people are doing.

Take Baby Steps in Changing Your Lifestyle

When it comes to developing a habit, it takes baby steps. You cannot expect to perfect a routine in one day. Self development takes hard work, patience, and time. It is hard to get there, but that’s what life is all about. It’s about the journey and the person you become once you accomplish that goal you have set. You’ll end up appreciating all of the hard work you put into it. By challenging yourself, the reward is held at a higher cost. 

healthy meal
Photo by Ella Olsson from Pexels
Cut Out Junk Food

Yes, I know, it’s so hard to cut out the chips, sugary drinks, and pastries. It’s also very hard to cut out fast food, especially when you are too stressed to cook. However, there are healthier alternatives such as Chipotle, Poke, or salads. Water is your best friend when it comes to improving your health and staying hydrated. By drinking lots of water, you’ll feel more energized as opposed to drinking sodas or sugary teas/juices.

Getting out of a rut is hard; it takes time and effort to make change. Your mind is everything which is why it is important to fuel it, your body, and your soul with nutritious foods to keep that spark. Feeling unproductive is totally normal, everyone goes through it. By incorporating these things into your routine, it will help transform your lifestyle into a purposeful meaningful life.

Jenita Raksanoh

UC Riverside '21

Jenita is a Media and Cultural Studies major at the University of California, Riverside. She enjoys meal prepping, working out, having photoshoots and discovering trendy food spots. Her goal is to motivate women to become healthier and become the best version of themselves. Being a young woman in college has taught her not only academically but mentally as well, which is why she is driven to help others through Her Campus.