Cameron Smith-Girl Smile Happy Colorado Travel Mountains Hiking Trees
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

How To Enjoy Spring Break During a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

It’s unfortunate to say this but it’s been one year of the COVID-19 pandemic. I remember last year for winter quarter, finals had to be held online and no one knew how long it would take to come back to campus. Turns out, the week of spring break turned into a whole year. Everything is now remotely online and there’s not much to do on spring break. However, that doesn’t mean your mini vacation can’t be enjoyable. Here are a list of things you can do to enjoy your spring break during the pandemic:

Girl hiking
Photo by Holly Mandarich from Unsplash

Go hiking

Hiking is a great way to get out of the house and keep you active. You can take your dog or go with a small group of friends. It is best to keep your mask on of course but spending hours hiking allows you to be connected with what’s going on around you which can be therapeutic. Not to mention, the views are always gorgeous!

Have a picnic

Whether it’s at the park, a beach, or even in your backyard, a cute little picnic with family or a small group of friends would be a great way to enjoy your spring break. You can get take-out or cook food and enjoy it outside in nature. Being outdoors is a great way to escape from the harsh reality of quarantining. With social distancing and masks enforced, a picnic would be lovely. 

ABC/Craig Sjodin

Learn a new skill

With school being on hold for a week, this is the perfect time to dedicate a hobby to yourself. Maybe there’s something that you have been wanting to learn or do so this is the time to dive into that. It could be learning how to cook, reading a self-growth book, learning how to do a certain make-up look. Learning a new skill that benefits you is a great way to practice self-care. 

Try a new food/drink place

There are many restaurants that are open for take-out which means you can drive out with a friend or family member and try something new. Whether it is a new coffee place that’s everyone been talking about, or a trendy food spot, it is always exciting to dress up and go grab some take-out. You never know, that new spot could turn out to be your go-to place. 

Woman in white shirt sleeping in bed
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

Relax

I’m sure for many of you, school can get overwhelming and take a toll on your mental health. Sometimes doing nothing is the perfect way to spend your spring break. You take the time to just breathe and slow down which allows you to take a break from assignments and deadlines. You can take the time to curl up in bed and binge-watch your favorite show or a new show that you have been putting on hold. You can make Tik-Toks in your room or catch up on some sleep. Incorporating an activity that allows you to become relaxed and reduce your stress is also a beneficial way to spend your spring break.

Having school online can be very stressful and unmotivating however spring break is here which will allow you to focus on yourself and the things that you’ve been wanting to do. Safely, of course. Although most of you don’t plan on going on vacation anymore like usual, that doesn’t mean that spring break is robbed from you. Enjoy your time and be safe!

Jenita Raksanoh

UC Riverside '21

Jenita is a Media and Cultural Studies major at the University of California, Riverside. She enjoys meal prepping, working out, having photoshoots and discovering trendy food spots. Her goal is to motivate women to become healthier and become the best version of themselves. Being a young woman in college has taught her not only academically but mentally as well, which is why she is driven to help others through Her Campus.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.