travel airplane sky sunset
travel airplane sky sunset
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

How COVID-19 Created A Better Abroad Choice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Ever since I came to college, one of my main goals has been to find a study abroad program so I can go out and learn in a different country. I had originally planned to go abroad in Italy in Fall 2020, but because of the uncertainty with the virus, I decided to postpone my trip. I quickly began to look for a new program that I could attend my sophomore year of college. I also wanted a European program because I knew a lot of Political Science programs were really good in Europe. I then found a program that I completely fell in love with and here’s why.

1. Two European Countries rather than One

My initial trip was supposed to be in Italy. I was very excited to learn about my major in such a beautiful country and so when I was looking for a  new program I still wanted to try going to Italy. I ended up finding a perfect program which not only took place in Rome, Italy but also Madrid, Spain. Once I noticed I was eligible, I immediately began an application for it. 

Ancient Architecture Arena Buildings
Pixabay / Pexels

2. Cheaper Price

A huge benefit of postponing my trip was that it was cheaper to go in the Spring. I thought this was crazy especially since I would be traveling to two different cities rather than just one. I would end up saving about 3k which I could use for books or spending money.

3. More Styles of Living

If I would have gone abroad during the fall, I had to choose between living in dorms, an apartment or doing a homestay. I would only get to experience one, while if I go in the Spring both cities offer a different type of living. Madrid offers living in a dorm with one other roommate, while Rome offers to live in an apartment with 2-3 roommates. It would allow me to live with different people as well as experience different living styles in other cities.

Anna Schultz-Girls Smiling Hanging Out With Dog
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

4. Better Courses

Three of the courses being offered count for my upper-division requirements which is great. Two of them have to do with Political Science while the other is about sociology which counts as my upper different requirements. Then, I would just have an extra class in Spanish to learn about the culture which would for elective credit.

5. Better Weather

Between late-March to mid-June, the weather in both these places ranges from about 45℉ to about 88 ℉. My trip will begin in Madrid where most of the weather will be cold and sometimes even rain. In Rome, the weather will begin to warm up and the highest it may reach is 88℉. During these times, I can style cute outfits for going out of even just going to class.

Aeroplane Aircraft Airplane Aviation
Nur Andi Ravsanjani Gusma / Pexels

Overall though, I’m not mad that I had to postpone my trip especially since I get to go to two cities and that there are many benefits that came out of postponing my trip.

Ashleen Herrarte

UC Riverside '22

Ashleen was a UCR Political Science and Philosophy major. She graduated from UCR back in Spring 2022. When she was not writing articles for HCUCR, she was usually spending time with friends by going out to eat yummy foods or watching shows at home. She hopes you enjoyed reading her articles!