This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

When I graduated high school, I was so relieved that it was over. I was ready to dive into college life and explore what the future had in store for me. I was excited to go to all the parties, make a lot of friends, and just be independent. However, college ended up being the opposite of what I had in mind.

Asian woman looking at reflection
Photo by Jessica Ticozzelli from Pexels
I had a hard time making new friends who actually wanted to hang out. I was eating at the dining halls alone and seeing a group of friends eating together laughing made me even sadder. I went to the gym alone because no one was into working out. I would cry in my dorm room every week because of how unhappy and lonely I felt but one day I grew tired of it and decided to do something about it.

Photo of young brunette woman wearing a backpack and walking down a street alone shot from behind
Photo by Karel Rakovsky from Picjumbo
I came to a realization that depending on having friends was not going to make me happy. Building a relationship with myself is what makes me happy. I stopped thinking about how lonely I feel and started changing my mindset. I started meditating in the mornings, stretching, taking warm baths, and watching YouTube videos on confidence. I am now a fourth-year student and I am still alone but here’s the difference,: I am happy. I enjoy being alone and building a relationship with myself because I am my own best friend.

summer girl hawaii yoga hiking exercise view high res version
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Being alone allowed me to appreciate what my body does for me and realize my worth. I am surrounded by positive energy and I believe that negative people or energy do not serve me. Back when I was a freshman, I thought that being alone was the worst thing in the world. But now looking back, I am so proud of myself and how far I have come with my mental health. I no longer let depression and anxiety control me, I am in control of my own feelings. I am thankful for being alone because it brought me an immense amount of love towards myself. Don’t be afraid to take yourself out! Don’t be afraid to do things alone. It’s okay to not have lots of friends. 

Jenita Raksanoh

UC Riverside '21

Jenita is a Media and Cultural Studies major at the University of California, Riverside. She enjoys meal prepping, working out, having photoshoots and discovering trendy food spots. Her goal is to motivate women to become healthier and become the best version of themselves. Being a young woman in college has taught her not only academically but mentally as well, which is why she is driven to help others through Her Campus.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.