This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

As long as I can remember, I have always been a timid person. Preferring books and their  imaginary utopias, I rarely made an effort to get to know others. My parents were okay with this, until I entered fifth grade and still showed no interest in others. In a ploy to grow my sociability, my dad bought me an encyclopedia on animals so that I could show it off at school. It didn’t work but I did develop a new hobby. I had always liked to draw, but I found myself captivated by the animals and spent hours upon hours drawing their likeness, creating a zoo of drawings. This hobby snowfalled until it became a passion. 

watercolor painting
Sincerely Media
To my parents’ delight I made friends in middle school. It all happened when I saw my soon-to-be best friend reading a volume of Clamp’s Cardcaptor Sakura. Earlier that summer I had become obsessed with Clamp’s art style, so I fought my anxiety and introduced myself. It was one of the best decisions I ever made and I learned to take more chances that were out of my comfort zone. I also found a group of friends that accepted me and supported my hobby. 

As I got more invested in art, I started to explore different genres quickly becoming obsessed with artists such as Salvador Dali and Margert Keane. I loved Surrealism and the emotions it evoked. This was a turning point for me as I began to view art more than just a task of beauty but rather one of expression. I learned not just to open up but to be comfortable in expressing and even exploring my emotions. It helped me reflect and grow a better sense of self.

three paint brushes
Anna Kolosyuk
When I left highschool I started to get more serious about my art. I decided to start doing commissions. At first it was easy, however, I soon realized that I was spending more time on commissions that I was getting paid for. This all boiled over when I was commissioned to make a piece only for the commissioner to no longer want it, after seven hours of work. I was devastated and hurt; I contemplated quitting. However, as I wallowed in sadness, I reminded myself that art is subjective; it won’t suit everybody’s tastes. I told myself I needed to be more self-assured and confident. Just because one person dislikes your craft doesn’t mean you should undervalue it or your time and effort. 

assorted-color bottles on white surface with paint scribbles
Ricardo Viana/Unsplash
Now as I’ve grown older, I see art as my life-long passion and a vital part of my growth. Through art I have made friends, left my comfort zone, learned self-expression and learned how to value myself and what I do. Art will always be a part of my life and it’s still helping me grow; had I decided to give up art I probably wouldn’t be who I am today. That’s why I encourage everyone to keep their passions because at the end of the day you choose what you do with it. 

Paulina Herrera

UC Riverside '22

Paulina Herrera is a junior at UC Riverside studying English. She has spent her time refining her skills as an art director intern for The Naked Magazine and as an intern for The Art Collection, NY. When she is not working on her art or writing you can find her reading copious amounts of comics and books or attending conventions.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.