Holiday gifting guide for the lost shopper

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

What do you get the girl who has everything? 

Shopping for holiday gifts is challenging, especially when it appears that everyone on your gift list couldn’t possibly need anything! Here are a few tips to keep in mind when shopping for your holiday gifts this year. 

Did they drop any hints? 

Most of the time, when someone knows the gift they want, they will not so suddenly drop it into conversations, show you pictures, or do just about anything to bring your attention to said item. Try to recall any instance where your loved one might have mentioned wanting a piece of jewelry or an all-expense-paid trip to Bali, and boom, you found the perfect gift for them. Plus, they will know you have been paying attention to them when they talk. 

Make it meaningful 

It does not matter how much money you spend on a gift; what matters is the thought you put into it. Maybe your loved one is an avid reader so you could annotate the margins of their favorite book, providing personal insight on the material and proving to them that you care about their interests. Create a piece of artwork that reminds you of your loved one and include a handwritten note behind the work. Do something that is super personal and will make the people in your life feel truly special and cherished by you. 

Gift an experience 

Although a little more on the pricey side, you can never go wrong with gifting an adventure. For the thrill-seekers, try giving a sky-diving lesson. If your best friend’s favorite musical is Hamilton then buy them tickets! Your parents want to go to Hawaii? Plan and buy them the perfect trip. 

Make it funny 

Everyone loves to laugh, so don’t be afraid to give a funny gift. Your best friend loves fries; give them a 20-pound bag of potatoes. If shopping for your uber-liberal friend, gift them a copy of the Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx. 

CHARITY, charity, CHARITY 

If the person you’re shopping for legitimately has everything, donate to a charity they support in their name. Do they love dogs? Donate to an animal shelter. There are hundreds of charities to choose from, and you are bound to find one that lines with something your friends and family enjoy. 

Happy holiday shopping, everyone; remember it’s the thought that counts and your loved ones will cherish anything you gift them! Hopefully, this helped you find the perfect gift.

Senna Omar

UC Riverside '25

Senna is a political science major, who plans on going to law school. Her passions include writing, photography, and journalism and she plans on becoming a political journalist following graduation.