Here’s what alternative song you should listen to based on your relationship status this Valentine’s

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Whether you’re a Valentine, a Galentine, or a Single’s Awareness advocate this year, there’s nothing quite like music to get you in the mood for a romantic dinner or a good cry. And, speaking from personal experience, there’s nothing better at this than emo music — hello, it’s in the name! So no matter if you’re cuddling up with your boo or crying your eyes out alone with a box of chocolates and Pride and Prejudice this year, here’s something to soundtrack it all to.

Long-Term Relationship: “You In January by The Wonder Years

Whether you’ve been together since high school or since you met in O-Chem last year, this song that Wonder Years singer, Soupy Campbell, wrote for his wife will get you in your feels. Lines like “I ran the dishwasher this morning / I wanted there to be clean plates for you tonight” will resonate with the comfort you and your person have found together.

New(er) Relationship: “Stay Awhile” by New Found Glory

Still getting to know each other? No problem. NFG’s upbeat love song will still reflect the excitement you have being together with lyrics such as “You like my sense of humor / I like the way you smile.” While you’re still navigating having each other in your lives, this is the perfect soundtrack for your date night.

Crush: “Stolen” by Dashboard Confessional

They don’t know you like them but you’re still so obsessed? Chris Carraba crooning “You have stolen my heart” in his swoon-worthy voice will give you a romantic background to yearn to. 

Situationship: “I Would Hate You If I Could by Turnover

Oof, sorry to hear that things are complicated. Hopefully you can take solace in lines like “Can I erase from my mind anything that you said or / Any time that we spent with each other?” Depending on how hard you’re going through it, you might just want to give the entirety of Turnover’s Peripheral Vision record a spin.

Long Distance: “Anna” by The Menzingers

“And when you’re away, I walk around in a haze / Reminiscing the days, first moving in with you.” Long-distance girls, we are seen and felt by these Scranton rockers. Throw this one on after your virtual date for a little hope and a little bittersweetness about missing your person.

You Just Got Dumped: “No Good” by Knuckle Puck

Some alternative songs were just made to be angry to. Scream along to “It’s nice to know I wasn’t worth the seven digit letdown / I was left out in the cold” and punch your pillow a few times. Make sure to treat yourself to some discount chocolate and a bubble bath after your much-needed bout of feminine rage.

You Did The Dumping: “Broken Heart” by Escape The Fate

Sometimes it’s time to call it quits. Tap into your inner middle schooler, write out your feelings and let Craig Mabbitt belting out “I’m letting go / ‘Cause I can’t take this anymore / Since you broke my heart in two” remind you why you had to kick them to the curb.

Single and Proud: “Lowlife” by Neck Deep

Here’s to not giving a f***! Perfectly singable, the fun and silly chorus of “Lowlife” will hopefully empower you to keep living your way when people ask why you’re single this holiday: “So f***ing boring / Maybe I’ll see you in hell / Mr. ‘I’m so important’.”

Single and Sad: I’m Just A Kid by Simple Plan

Simple Plan are the masters of songs that help you feel super seen, no matter how juvenile the lyrics. Exhibit A: “Nobody cares/ ‘Cause I’m alone and the world is having more fun than me tonight.” If you’re curled up on the couch this year, know that these guys know how you feel.

Galentine’s Day: “Girl God Gun” by Gen and the Degenerates

Celebrate the power of friendship with this song that celebrates the diversity of womanhood. “I am infectious laughter / Guttural crying / I am getting turned on / By the thought of dying.” I dare you and your friends to dance on a table to this one — you won’t regret it.
No matter your relationship status this year, remember that your love life (or lack of one) doesn’t define who you are. Blasting some pop punk in the car on the way to CVS for cheap candy on the 15th is something anyone can enjoy. Find the whole playlist here!

Evelyn Homan

UC Riverside '24

Hiya! I'm Evelyn, and I'm a fourth-year English & Creative Writing double major, as well as an Honors student researching independent studying in the 21st century. I love literature, midwest emo and goth rock, alternative fashion, and talking. A lot.