This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Abortion is, has, and always will be an extremely difficult topic and controversial debate. Recently there have been more articles and news coverage about the subject. This is due to several new abortion bills which have been extremely aggressive and seem to follow the “heartbeat” guideline. This would mean abortions in four states, now including Georgia, would be illegal as soon as a fetal heartbeat is dectected. However, in most cases, this is six weeks into the pregnancy – a time in which most women don’t even recognize that they are pregnant.

Many women in Georgia will suffer because the state has one of the highest maternal death rates in the country.

The sad thing is, these bills are not only occurring in Georgia. States like Ohio and Alabama are proposing drastic challenges to reverse the historic Roe v. Wade (1973): the case which legalized abortion across the nation.

These bills from these states could not only turn abortions illegal for all circumstances (including incest or rape) but would incriminate women who use ANY form of contraception. . The women receiving abortions would not only be the ones at “fault,” but those who carry out the procedure could also be imprisoned too.

(From BBC )

This bills are quite disturbing and include realistic outcomes. The bills even go as far as mentioning a method that would re-implant an embryo in an ectopic pregnancy,  a pregnancy in which the fetus cannot survive because the pregnancy occurs outside of the fallopian tubes.

Bills like these go to show how far men in power will go to maintain their control over women’s bodies.

Mya Benavides

UC Riverside '21

Lover of kindness, music, and creating. Undergrad at UCR pursuing a B.A. in Sociology along with a Minor in English.
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.