Healthy Living is Possible as a College Student!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Although the end of the quarter is quickly approaching, now is as good of time as any to develop healthy routines and eating habits. Besides, finals are right around the corner and we all know how easy it is to indulge in quick and simple fast food dinners, or over salted and unhealthy snacks during study sessions. So the first order of business we will discuss is HEALTHY eating habits. The first question that comes to mind when discussing ways to eat healthy is HOW? Well, here are a few tips

• Forget about your usual fast food options of Carls Jr, Fatburger, and McDonalds. Yes, fast foods may be convenient with a hectic college schedule, but they are extremely low in nutrients and have high amounts of fat and sodium; not to mention the amount of money that adds up when you constantly eating out. There’s only so far we can stretch those refund and paychecks. 
  • Go grocery shopping! This way you can save money and not rely on convenient, but unhealthy meals and snacks. Here are some healthy foods you can purchase at the store: fruits, frozen or canned vegetables, yogurt, frozen chicken and lean meats, whole grain bread and rice, and lean cuisines and snacks. You can also buy different marinades to apply to various meats such as teriyaki, barbeque, or exotic flavors like “sweet chili” or “sesame ginger.”
  • Get creative and put those college minds to use. Make a menu for your week and plan your meals accordingly. For example, make large meals such as spaghetti or enchiladas so you have leftovers and are not worried about not having enough time to cook. Prepare veggies or a salad with your meals so you get all those nutrients your brain and body needs :) 
  • Pack a lunch for school so you are not tempted to spend extra money.
  • Avoid snacking on potato chips, cookies, and candy! Instead try snacking on trail mix, fruits, yogurt, or even the little 100-calorie snack packs.
  • Drink more WATER! Minimize your intake of sodas and juices, not only will this keep your body healthy but it is also a great way to nourish your skin.
  • Download apps that mark your calorie intake so even if you get off track or slip up one day, you always have a reminder.
  • Find a buddy that is willing to partake in healthy eating regiments with you whether a close friend or a roommate. Having support of others is always helpful when seeking to alter an area in your life. 

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying you should totally eliminate fast foods from the equation, but the goal is to break the habit of relying on these foods as your only option. If you do find yourself on campus looking for a place to eat, opt for a subway sandwich instead of greasy pizza or tacos and nachos. This goes for fast food places as well- indulge in a chicken sandwich or a low carb entrée instead of your infamous burger and fries.

Aside from healthy eating, you must also make sure your body is physically healthy. If you can find the time in your schedule, go out for a 30 min walk or go for a quick workout at the Rec Center. Don’t forget you are paying for this facility so you might as well utilize it! You can even attend one of the classes offered. One of my favorites is Ms. Clute’s, “Ab Attack” class on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:15-5:00 p.m. This class offers a great way to burn off those calories and get your body looking nice and tight! If this class seems a little too intense, you can also take the more relaxed yoga classes offered nearly every day of the week at various times.

Keep these tips in mind and start on your way to healthy living!