This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Being in college and taking part in Halloween activities is hard, especially if you are tight on money and have a budget. From buying candy to buying a costume to throwing a party, Halloween can be an expensive evening. But there are ways to lessen the stress of having to find a costume like throwing something together with the clothes that you have in your closet, borrowing clothes from your friends or roommate, or going to the thrift store and finding something there. Regardless, here are four characters you could be this year on a college student’s budget. 

​1. Debbie Thornberry and Eliza Thornberry

(Photo Courtesy of Ashe Cosplay on Facebook)

The Wild Thornberrys ran from the late 1990s until the early 2000s, but some of us still remember the mischievous Eliza Thornberry and her grunge sister Debbie Thornberry. For Eliza, find a red turtleneck to go under her yellow oversized shirt, and match with red hair ties for her iconic braids. For Debbie’s grunge look, an orange crop top, a green flannel tee, and knee ripped baggy jeans should do the trick. And don’t forget her peekaboo curly hair. Debbie and Eliza are perfect costumes to match with your best friend.

2. Trixie Tang

(Photo Courtesy of chipotal.cos on Instagram)

Timmy’s love interest from The Fairly Oddparents has always rejected his advances; she stands as a strong individual. To recreate her look, you would need a lavender turtleneck, a matching headband, a white pencil skirt and matching white go-go boots.

3. Audrey Ramirez

(Photo Courtesy of Kieraplease on Instagram)

Audrey Ramirez from Atlantis: The Lost Empire is a Puerto Rican mechanic helping Milo find the lost empire of Atlantis. For Audrey’s costume, wear a white long sleeve blouse to go under some baggy overalls. Also, a denim newsboy hat, workers gloves, and her iconic red lip are essential to complete her look.

Hola! I'm Julissa Guerrero Iniguez. I attend the University of California Riverside as an English major and Latin American Studies minor. During my free time, I like to read and do DIYs.