This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Compared to the life everyone wanted to live in 2020, it isn’t happening. Most of us wanted to live our best lives this year since it was a new decade and we wanted some change. We expected holidays to be amazing since most were on weekends, and we thought we would be doing anything else apart from staying at home to prevent spreading the virus. For example, at the moment I am currently living with my parents while taking classes and having a part-time job. If COVID-19 didn’t happen, I would have been in Italy to study abroad. COVID-19 changed the way we were able to enjoy this year, but somewhere there are some good things that came out of it.

Always Wanted to be Homeschooled 

Ever since I was little, I always wanted to be homeschooled since I would be able to do things at my own pace. This year has allowed me to have a similar experience with having classes online. This current quarter, most of my professors just post videos online and allow us to watch them whenever we want (throughout that week). 

Got Closer With Family

Before COVID, I was close with my family, but it wasn’t the way it is now. Currently, my brother and I are very close and we tend to hang out and talk much more than we did before. Similarly, my mom and I have gotten closer, and she’s managed to get me for one more year before I have to go back to college. With my dad, I have managed to get more on his nerves but also be closer and make him laugh more.

Making Money

If COVID hadn’t happened, I would be in Italy, but rather than making money I’d be spending it. Because of COVID, I was able to get my high-school job back and so I’m making money. In a way, I’m happy this happened because I can save up money for when I need it later.

Seeing My Boyfriend More

This was one of the best things in 2020. Before COVID, I lived in Riverside while my boyfriend lived in the valley. It was a lot harder to see each other since it is almost a 2-hour drive with traffic. Now that I am back home in the valley, we are able to see each other more since we live 5 minutes away from one another.

Although I was not able to accomplish everything that I wanted in 2020, there were some good things that came out of it; they make me dislike 2020 just a little less.

Ashleen Herrarte

UC Riverside '22

Ashleen was a UCR Political Science and Philosophy major. She graduated from UCR back in Spring 2022. When she was not writing articles for HCUCR, she was usually spending time with friends by going out to eat yummy foods or watching shows at home. She hopes you enjoyed reading her articles!
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.