Life > Experiences

Going to In-Person Lectures for the First Time as a Second-Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Two weeks into the winter quarter, UCR announced that classes would return to in-person on January 31st. When this was announced, it was already nerve-wracking because one, COVID is still prevalent and dangerous, and two, I had never actually had an in-person lecture or discussion before. I’ve been at UCR for two years now, and it wasn’t until this quarter that I got to experience some semblance of what normal college students before the pandemic are used to. It threw me for a loop, seeing as I wanted to be presentable for class but also actually seeing other people in my class there in person. I had gotten so used to the black squares with names or photos of people. There have been many pros and cons to going back in person, but overall all I can say is that it has been a major shift, one that I know many people my age who started college online may feel the same as I do. 

Going into my first lecture hall felt surreal, especially because I had rarely gotten the chance to explore and experience the campus before. With COVID still at a peak, the lecture hall was not that full, as the professor offered a hybrid option of zoom (which I am thankful for). I felt better going in person with fewer people in the hall, as the risk for exposure to COVID would lessen with the number of people being so little. But I think the craziest part of it was being able to focus. I felt that these past two years, I have learned so much but none of that material has stuck with me. Within the first hour of experiencing lectures in person, I felt that I had learned more than I have during my entire college career. Maybe it is as simple as I would get called out for being on my phone during lectures unlike on Zoom, but I really felt the environment shift helped my mind shift to wanting to proactively learn.

I also think that just being able to walk around campus and see it has been a great shift for me and my mentality about school. While on Zoom, there isn’t much leeway to spend time away from your computer, and being able to walk to class has helped me feel more connected to the campus and the overall college vibes. 

While it still isn’t the safest that it can be, and the normalcy of college is still not within reach, I think that being able to have this experience has really helped me feel like a college student. Before in-person classes, it really felt like I was just having meetings and living in an area with friends without much depth. I am excited that classes have been in-person but I also want to acknowledge that there are still many people who have yet to experience college at all because they are scared or more at risk due to COVID, and I want to say that it’s okay that you haven’t been able to come to campus, always put your health and safety first. Education should never trump one’s health, so you are doing the right thing by staying home. But if you are able and feel safe enough, I would definitely recommend to the people who haven’t had anything in person to try coming to campus and testing the waters, and remember to wear a mask and social distance while doing so!

Jade Zuniga

UC Riverside '24

I am a fourth-year Psychology major with an Organizational Behavior minor and Media and Cultural Studies minor, looking to improve my writing skills. I love listening to music, watching movies, eating and trying different foods, and playing with my cats.