Ginny and Georgia is Not Just a Modern Gilmore Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Stories about complicated mother daughter relationships never fail to bring people in because they are not only relatable but also make for intriguing content to watch. Now that the second season of Netflix’s drama series Ginny and Georgia is finally streaming on the platform, it brings about conversations discussing the similarities it has with the early 2000’s show Gilmore Girls.

Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

Both shows follow teen moms and their daughters in small town settings, yes, but they have a lot of differences that are even more apparent with the second season out. If you have seen both shows, you probably already know that the genres and characters are very different. While Gilmore Girls thrives off its relaxing nature that is perfect for casual viewers, Ginny and Georgia portrays dramatic storylines that surprisingly lean into mystery aspects quite frequently.

The first season of Ginny and Georgia was greeted with a wide variety of conflicting opinions. People on the internet latched on to a few specific controversial scenes, such as the oppression Olympics moment or the unfortunate Taylor Swift joke the singer herself responded to. Not only was the show being unfairly compared to the beloved Gilmore Girls, it was sparking controversy that, sure, probably brought in views, but left people with the wrong idea of the show in their minds too. 

Season two strays away from the Gilmore Girls copycat narrative and successfully redeems itself for the messy writing last season. Antonia Gentry (Ginny) and Brianne Howey (Georgia) both showcase how fantastic they are as actors while maintaining believable mother-daughter chemistry throughout. The ten episode season also discusses important topics like mental health in a tactful way without romanticizing or placing judgment on the subject.

Like any modern dramatic series involving teenagers, Ginny and Georgia has plenty of over the top plots and tense relationship dynamics. It has established itself as a fun, binge worthy Netflix watch and hopefully we get to see more episodes in the future.

Alyssa Gordon

UC Riverside '24

Hi, I'm Alyssa! I'm a fourth-year Media and Cultural Studies major with an English minor. I love anything pop culture and baking related. When I'm not writing, I can be found reading or rewatching episodes of my favorite 2010's sitcoms.