Gilmore Girls: Why We Still Love It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Gilmore Girls has been off the air for seven years! First, just let that sink in. Ok, now that you are filled with sadness, you can be happy again to know that the entire series of Gilmore Girls is on Netflix! Since its return on Netflix, I have been watching the entire series over and I could not believe how relevant it still is today! Perhaps I relate to it even more since I’m a little older and understand the fast talking and the complete hankering for coffee at all times. That being said here are 5 reasons why we still love Gilmore Girls and Stars Hollow!

1.     Melissa McCarthy

Before she was starring in films with Kristen Wiig, Jason Bateman and Sandra Bullock, she played the loveable small town chef Sookie St. James. Her constant sunny demeanor on the show served as a perfect balance to Lorelai.

2.     Coffee, Coffee, Coffee!

When the series first aired on television, I was around ten years old so I really didn’t understand Lorelai and Rory’s need to have a coffee every single meal. Now that I’m in college and have a million and one things to do in a day, I fully understand the presence of caffeine in my system at all times.

3. Rory and Jess

I ship Rory and Jess so hard… and sadly enough they did not end up together during the series. I fully believe if the show continued, they would have ended up together years later. Jess and Rory made each other better people and it is always nice to watch their love evolve onscreen.

4.     Lorelai and Luke

Lorelai and Luke’s standoffs in unnecessary battles of wit is what made us all look forward to the next episode, because each time we wondered when in the heck Luke was going to confess his feelings for Lorelai! But when they finally did find each other, it proved to us all that when you fall in love you should fall in love with your best friend.

5.     “Where you lead, I will follow.”

Gilmore Girls was a show centered around two women. More importantly it was centered around a mother and daughter who grew and learned from one another. Since the show has been off the air, I can’t think of a wholesome show today that tells the story of women and the daily struggles of life. That was one of the remarkable aspects of the show, it was about strong, confident and smart women, which is why I’m glad this show is on Netflix. It enables younger generations to experience Stars Hollow and strong female relationships.   

Mia Garcia

UC Riverside

UC Riverside

UC Riverside