Getting Back to the Music: Miley Cyrus’ Bangerz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Ok lets face it. No matter who you are, you have an opinion on Miley Cyrus. Whether this opinion was formed in the early days of her career when she played Hannah Montana or if it was formed more recently during her much talked about performance during this years MTV Video Music Awards, let us take a moment to put all those opinions aside and focus on the music and the real person behind the melody.

This past week I found myself listening to her new album Bangerz, which is set to release on October 5th (but is currently being streamed on iTunes), and it left me very impressed. Miley proves that she is a true talent vocally with the wide range of songs she performs on her record, from softer ballads such as “Adore You” to well produced songs such as “4×4” and “#GETITRIGHT”. Miley’s go hard attitude also landed her some big names as featured artists on several of her songs. Collaborations with names such as Britney Spears, French Montana, Big Sean and Nelly, proves there really is no stopping Miley Cyrus.

But amidst all the big names behind the future success of her album, the biggest success comes from Miley herself. In many of her songs she comes to terms with the struggles of her own relationships, most likely inspired by her former fiancé Liam Hemsworth. Besides her latest single “Wrecking Ball”, “Maybe You’re Right” shows her vulnerability as she belts out lyrics like “You might think I’m crazy, that I’m lost and foolish leaving you behind, maybe you’re right”.

To kick off the album release MTV also released a documentary called Miley: The Movement on October 2nd. The documentary gave fans a closer look into Miley’s life as she made her comeback with the release of “We Can’t Stop” up until her VMA performance. For her this is just the beginning, because she believes that a “movement is bigger than a record”.

Overall Bangerz is a great album and allows its listeners to look deeper among the twerking antics that is Miley Cyrus.

Mia Garcia

UC Riverside

UC Riverside

UC Riverside