This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Problems with Sweaty Makeup?

Spring is a time of blossoming flowers and increasing sun exposure. The past makeup trends of fall and winter moisturize and full coverage foundation begins to slideing against the California sun. A person’s initial makeup application is fresh and ready to conquer the day, but after a full day in the Riverside heat you look at the mirror and your foundation is nearly half gone and your mascara is smeared. Here are some tips to beat the heat and keep your makeup on your face.

1. LESS IS MORE

Apply light concealer around the mouth, under eyes, and center of the forehead. Throughout the day it’s better to sweat from less makeup because the foundation won’t appear as thick. This will pinpoint the places where the sun hits, creating a natural glow without the heavy cake-face.

2. AMP UP WITH BRIGHTS COLORS

Get creative and bold with your eyeshadow looks. Apply one \bold color all over your eyelid so you can emphasize your eye shapes with a dark eyeliner. Use glitter and festive colors like cranberry red or loud blue. Personalize your eyeshadow looks to your own style and it’ll shine boldly in the sun. It’s a quick and easy transition into a bold look without all the other steps.

3. WATERPROOF

Smudgeproof mascara and eyeliner will last a long time without needing a constant touch up. Curl your lashes consistently and apply a light coat of waterproof mascara to hold the curl longer.

(Image by CVS Pharmacy)

4. PROTECT AT ALL COSTS

The sun is a beautiful part of spring and summer, but it can go haywire without the right skin protection. It’s important to apply a light, nonsticky sunscreen. It’ll create a thin barrier between all those sun spots and skin damage. This step is crucial for anti-aging prevention and overall skin preservation.

(Image by Harpers Bazaar)

(Image by Pinterest)

5. SHINE DARLING

Even though during this time the skin is better off with less concealer, an ample amount of highlighter can create an illuminating inner glow. Apply around the pinpoints that the sun hits your face. The tip of your nose, cupid’s bow, eyebrow and around the cheek area.

Yale Chung

UC Riverside '21

An artist. A learner. A proclaimer. Lover of words and empowerment. In my free time I enjoy listening to personalized narratives and petting my dogs. I am a firm believer in freestyle dance and ice cream.
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.