FREE Girl Rising Screening (Open to UCR Students/Faculty)

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

HCUCR will be hosting a screening of Girl Rising on April 17th @ Sproul 2355 (6:10pm). You can check out the FB event by clicking here! FREE snacks will also be provided outside of the classroom! If you’d like to learn more about Girl Rising you can check out the press release below or you can watch the trailer.

PRESS RELEASE
New York, NY (March 7, 2013) – Girl Rising, Academy Award-nominated director Richard E. Robbins’ new feature film about the strength of the human spirit and the power of education to change the world, premiered last night in New York at the Paris Theatre.

Narrated by Cate Blanchett, Priyanka Chopra, Selena Gomez, Anne Hathaway, Salma Hayek, Alicia Keys, Chloë Moretz, Liam Neeson, Frieda Pinto, Meryl Streep, and Kerry Washington, the movie is the centerpiece of 10×10 – a global campaign to educate and empower girls.

“Girl Rising is about the formative impact education can have on a girl’s life,” said director, Richard E. Robbins. “Girl Rising’s nine stories represent millions of girls who deserve to go to school, but can’t. Thanks to the remarkable organizing efforts of people around the country, Girl Rising will be seen by thousands around the nation who’ve demanded a screening. This is a new model for impact filmmaking, and one we hope can help us get girls into school.” Each girl’s story is written by a renowned writer from her native country: Marie Arana, Edwidge Danticat, Mona Eltahawy, Aminatta Forna, Zarghuna Kargar, Maaza Mengiste, Sooni Taraporevala, Manjushree Thapa, and Loung Ung.

“Intel’s extensive global education work has found a great marriage with 10×10 and its global social action campaign to educate and empower girls,” said Shelly Esque, vice president of Intel’s Corporate Affairs Group and president of the Intel Foundation. “We leveraged our relationships and resources beyond simply funding with the hope that our strengths, along with a non-profit, the creative industry, and NGOs, can together catalyze change and raise awareness to educate girls.”

“Filmmakers often use movies to raise awareness about causes and issues, but our goal is to go a step beyond that and help the audience take action once they leave the theater,” said Paul G. Allen, founder of Vulcan Productions. “We believe in making films that make a difference, and we’re eager to see girls’ education gain momentum as a result of Girl Rising.”

“This is an exciting moment for 10×10, which has built a movement around educating girls” said Holly Gordon, Executive Director of 10×10. “It is particularly poignant that we launched our campaign on the eve of International Day of the Girl, and will release Girl Rising – the centerpiece of our campaign – on the eve of International Women’s Day. The movement has matured, and as a result, we’ve been able to crowdsource Girl Rising into hundreds of movie theaters across the nation. I urge people to continue to request screenings, and turn awareness into action by supporting the 10×10 Fund for Girls Education.”

The 10×10 Fund for Girls Education goes to 10×10’s high-impact network of non-profit partners and leaders in girls’ education: A New Day Cambodia, CARE, Girl Up/United Nations Foundation, Partners in Health, Plan International USA, Room to Read, and World Vision.

The executive producers of Girl Rising are Tom Yellin, Holly Gordon, Paul G. Allen and Jody Allen. Following the theatrical run, Girl Rising will be seen around the world when it premieres on CNN in June.

ABOUT 10X10 10×10 was founded by award-winning journalists at The Documentary Group and Paul G. Allen’s Vulcan Productions, along with strategic partner, Intel Corporation. 10×10 is built on a foundation of partnerships with NGOs, corporations, policy makers, and grassroots organizations — all working to change minds, lives, and policy. 10×10’s coalition of NGO partners include a high-impact network of champions and leaders in girls’ education. These organizations provide life-changing services to girls every day, and are among the best practitioners of their kind. 10×10’s film, Girl Rising, has been acquired by CNN Films and will be broadcast on CNN in the summer of 2013.

Nicole Martinez

UC Riverside

Nicole is a senior at UC Riverside where she is majoring in Media and Culture studies. She co-founded the Her Campus UC Riverside chapter her sophomore year in college. She loves to spend her free time watching The Mindy Project, Girls, Pretty Little Liars, and other shows with leading ladies. She also dabbles on tumblr, instagram (obviwearetheladies), and twitter. Mindy Kailing and Shoshanna are her spirit animals and in the near future she hopes to achieve elite status on Yelp, pursue a career in Public Relations and ultimately conquer the world.