Wellness

The Four Biggest Learning Curves of Your Second Year at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

As soon as winter quarter of my second year hit, I suddenly realized that I was in college. Like, like paying-your-wifi-bill college and living-off-of-rice-and-frozen-chicken college. Long gone are the days of R.A.’s and dining hall food, and a very new reality of how much of a learning curve second-year has been. From the housemates to the upper divs, here are my top 4 learning curves I’ve come into realizing this year. 

(Courtesy of Housing.ucr.edu )

1. Not Living on Campus

I regret every second I didn’t absolutely relish in being able to wake up 5 minutes before class, and roll down the hill to get to my morning classes. Living on campus in the dorms my first year is by far one of the biggest things that I miss. And as annoying as living with 100 people was sometimes, I was never bored. There was always a person to hang out with, an event happening, a shoulder to cry on- literally 10 steps away! Now, it is way harder to see your friends and you always have to drive to see them, you have to wake up at least 30 minutes before class to book it to where you need to go, and having your own room feels lonely!

2. Cooking for Yourself

My first week living in my house, I set two kitchen fires off. And then the next 6 weeks, my diet was mostly quesadillas and canned food. I don’t think I even TOUCHED a vegetable or fruit for the first month or so, because I just forgot! It is so easy to forget to eat when your dining facility isn’t stocked with amazing food literally downstairs from you. If the freshman 15 is a thing, the sophomore negative 15 should be acknowledged just as much. Thank god for rice cookers and frozen chicken because I think that is the only reason I know how to make normal people food. If I could go back to my freshman self, I would tell her to use every single dining swipe. 

(Photo courtesy of Dining.ucr.edu)

3. Not Being Able to Use the Excuse of Being a “Freshman”

Being a ‘freshman’ was a great excuse for so many things. Not sure about your major? It’s okay! You’re just a freshman. Don’t have a job? It’s okay! Enjoy freshman year. Failed a class? It’s all good- you’re a freshman, you have so much time to fix it! Now, as a sophomore, there’s this weird unexpected pressure to have your life together. Your advisor is on you about classes and internships, and staying involved for resume builders. Walking into the wrong classroom is 10 times more embarrassing because you’re a sophomore! You should know where you’re going. But also, one the upside, no longer being a freshman is kind of nice. No more feeling like the baby on campus and there are so many new people to meet!

(Courtesy of Jonathan Daniels on Unsplash)

4. Being One Year Closer to Being Out of College 

Being in your second year means you’re one year closer to wearing that cap and gown, and walking out onto the stage and into the world. Odds are, some of your friends have already graduated and are in the ‘real world’ now. Which, is absolutely terrifying. Especially because the farther you are in college, the less you want to leave. I can hardly write a cover letter without 10 people checking it, how am I supposed to survive in whatever industry I choose? What’s going to happen when doctors notes can’t push deadlines and my boss can literally ruin my career if I mess up? Luckily, 3 more years lay ahead to ease these worries.

Grace LemMon

UC Riverside '22

It's Grace! I am a student at UC Riverside, studying Theatre, Film, and Digital Production. Post-grad I want to be a post-production editor and work one day as a big-shot producer. Most of all, I want to be thriving and passionate. In my free time, I'm surfing, drinking coffee, and watching new movies :-) instagram: gracejlemmon