This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

The nominations for the 2023 MTV Movie and TV Awards have been released. With multiple staple categories such as “Best Movie” and “Best Show” consisting of well-loved nominees from this past year in the media, this year’s awards is bound to be a very entertaining show. Here are a few categories to look out for. 

“Best Comedic Performance” 

While some categories at the MTV Awards are specific to being for a show or a movie, this category is composed of actors from both. It will be interesting to see who wins because it is such a diverse category despite it being a comedy award.   

“Best Performance in a Show” 

Six great actresses are nominated for this award, from Sadie Sink for fan favorite Stranger Things to Riley Keough for her titular role in the recent book adaptation mini series of Daisy Jones & the Six

Riley Keough in Daisy Jones and the Six
Lacey Terrell/Prime Video

“Best Performance in a Movie” 

Similar to the category above, the competition in this category is tough. Each performance nominated has been widely acclaimed, but ultimately the decision relies on the fans and who they want to vote for.   

“Best Show”

A lot of captivating television shows came out or released their next season in 2022 to the beginning of 2023. Most, if not all, of the shows nominated have large fan bases and have had viral moments on social media like Wednesday and The White Lotus. 

jenna ortega as wednesday
Netflix

“Best Movie”  

Like recent television shows, movies were amazing this year as well. Nearly half of the nominees are horror films, making this category quite unique in comparison to last year, when Marvel’s Spider-Man: No Way Home won the golden popcorn award. 

One of the great things about the MTV Movie and TV Awards is that the winners are voted for by fans. Voters are able to vote for their favorites by going to the MTV website until April 17. The award show will air May 7 at 8 pm.

Alyssa Gordon

UC Riverside '24

Hi, I'm Alyssa! I'm a fourth-year Media and Cultural Studies major with an English minor. I love anything pop culture and baking related. When I'm not writing, I can be found reading or rewatching episodes of my favorite 2010's sitcoms.