Style

FALL in Love with These Up-and-Coming Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Summer was fun while it lasted, but the weather is getting colder and it’s time to start changing your wardrobe. Here’s a style guide to help you slay the upcoming fall quarter!

COLORS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS

What’s poppin? Those neon yellows, oranges, and pinks are what’s catching everyone’s eye this season. Neon was the trend seen all through the summer, from nail polish to clothing and accessories. But I don’t think it’s leaving anytime soon!

There are so many ways to wear neon colors. Neon also compliments any skin tone! Neon bodysuits are popular in stores right now, which can be easily paired with a pair of jeans, biker shorts, or leggings.

(Photo courtesy of ASOS)

(Photo courtesy of Forever21)   

Who said you shouldn’t stand out? As seen on Kourtney Kardashian not only wearing a bright orange Versace mini dress, but also in neon yellow clear Yeezy pumps. Blake Lively in an all neon yellow Versace suit, this is definitely the season to make a bold statement!

(Picture courtesy By Tracy Wright for DailyMail) 

(Picture courtesy by James Devaney for Harper Bazaar)

If you’re unsure about wearing something super bright, start off small by adding a neon baseball cap, belt or choker to your OOTD.

(Photo courtesy of Forever21)

(Photo courtesy of H&M)

(Photo courtesy of Forever21)

IT’S NOT ABOUT BRANDS, IT’S ABOUT STYLE

Team Oversized! Oversized sweaters, shirts, pants, and jackets are here to stay. 70s-inspired striped clothing is also a popular staple this season.

First off, oversized sweaters are an easy piece to pair with skirts, jeans or pants and a pair of sneakers. And for those who are going for the 70s look, wear an oversized sweater tucked into some jeans/jean skirt paired with a solid color belt or wear it alone for a bold look. Embrace your shoulders, ladies, because off-the-shoulder sweaters are also making a comeback!  

(Photo courtesy of AliExpress)     

(Photo courtesy of Ashley Stewart)   

Oversized pants, aka wide-leg pants, are a fashion must this fall. Who’s seen the button side wide-leg pants? Cute or what? To compliment these pants, wear a loose shirt or something long sleeved—but not oversized. Tuck it in, or wear a crop top if you want to show off a little skin.

Please note: Oversized pants do not mean it’s okay to buy a pair of MC Hammer pants.

(Photo courtesy of Kitiri) 

BRINGING OUT THE OUTERWEAR

Sweater weather is around the corner and the temperature is starting to drop. Get ready to start wearing your trench coats, hoodies, wrap coats, parkas, cardigans, denim jackets and whatever else is in your closet. Pairing hoodies under denim jackets is not only cute, but an essential for staying warm during a chilly fall night!

(Photo courtesy of Burlington)

(Photo Courtesy of H&M)

(Photo courtesy of Forever21)  

Wrap coats are very trendy this fall.  Worn over shorts, skirts, jeans, leggings, and just about every type of clothing, this look is very easy to incorporate into your fall wardrobe. As seen on Face Forward, the Snapchat makeover show by Patrick Starrr, one of the glam squad stylist, Johnny Wujek, presented a sheer, satin material wrap coat for a club setting inspired by singer Katy Perry. I literally fell in love with the concept. The coat can be worn down to your shoulders when it’s getting a little hot, or it can just be used as a wrap coat for a more casual, relaxed look.

(Photo courtesy of Poshmark)

(Photo Courtesy of ASOS)    

WHERE ARE YOU WEARING ACTIVEWEAR?

Bouncing back to the gym? Well, I’m going to try to. But honestly, you don’t have to go to the gym to wear activewear! Activewear is simple, casual and versatile. It’s adaptable for any occasion, such as heading out to class on a morning where you’re running behind, grabbing lunch with someone, or doing errands.

I honestly love wearing my active mesh panel leggings. They’re comfy, breathable, and they have pockets!

(Photos Courtesy of Ashley Stewart)

The most popular form of activewear that I’ve seen lately is the matching nude-tone sets, usually with a crop top/sports bra paired with bicycle shorts. So contemporary!

I’m pretty sure everyone has seen Kanye’s collection, which is made up of activewear pieces. It’s trendsetting but who can afford it? Not me! Fortunately, there are so many department stores that are selling similar looks right now.

(Photos Courtesy of Forever21)  (Photos Courtesy of ASOS)

(Photos Courtesy of Old Navy)

Don’t let certain styles scare you. Own it! As Anne Klein says, “Clothes aren’t going to change the world, the women who wear them will.”

Angelica Bennett

UC Riverside '19

Hello, my name is Angelica Bennett and I'm currently a fourth year at UCR Sociology Admin major. Super excited about being apart of Her Campus at UC Riverside. Keeping up with the latest fashion and beauty trends is my favorite thing to do. Spreading love, peace and advice is what I do best!
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.