Met Gala Gown
Met Gala Gown
Alanna Martine Kilkeary / Her Campus
Style > Fashion

Everything You Need To Know About The 2023 Met Gala

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

The first Monday in May is right around the corner, which means it is time for fashion’s biggest night. The Metropolitan Museum of Art’s annual fundraiser for the Costume Institute draws in A-listers from a multitude of industries and hosts a lavish, yet extremely exclusive gala that leaves fans marveling over the evening’s fashion and pining for a glimpse at their favorite stars dressed to the nines. The Met Gala takes place at the museum located on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, but it is the grand entrance that draws in masses both at home and in person, as the stars ascend the iconic steps. 

This year’s coveted Met Gala is taking place on May 1, 2023 and already has a star studded guest list. The theme for the 2023 Met Gala titled “Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty,” in honor of the late designer Karl Lagerfeld, who lended his talents to labels such as Patou, Balmain, Fendi, Chloé, Chanel, as well as his eponymous brand. The theme fittingly requires attendees to model their favorite looks inspired by Lagerfeld.

The 2023 Met Gala will display 150 pieces from Lagerfeld throughout his life, curated by the Costume Institute’s heads. Each year, the Gala has a handful of co-chairs that bring the evening to life. This year, Penélope Cruz, Dua Lipa, Michaela Coer, and Roger Federer, along with Vogue’s Editor-in-Chief, Anna Wintour, have been chosen to host the gala. Wintour has been running the Met Gala since 1995 and is an indispensable part of the evening. 

While the details of the evening are kept under wraps, few key aspects can be expected. The gala usually features a performance from one of the top performers in the music industry, as well as a carefully organized seating chart that accommodates somewhere around 600 people each year, and brings stars together for a magical night of philanthropy and the celebration of fashion. 

The red carpet will be live streamed via Vogue beginning at 6:30 PM EST and can also be found on multiple social media platforms, such as Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. The stream will feature interviews with attendees–from stars to the designers who dress them. The livestream will be cohosted by La La Anthony, Derek Blasberg, Chloe Fineman, and our favorite special correspondent, Emma Chamberlain.

Kiana Sardari

UC Riverside '24

Third year Media and Cultural Studies and Global Studies double major. Probably at a concert right now.