Everything Everywhere All At Once Deserves An Oscars Sweep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

With the 95th Academy Awards approaching quickly on March 12, there is a lot of buzz about which picture will be winning big. The forecasted frontrunner this year is the complex dramedy, Everything Everywhere All At Once.

The film tells the story of an unlikely hero who is tasked with cultivating and refining her powers to save the world in the face of a shattered multiverse. Michelle Yeoh plays Evelyn Quan Wang, a wife, a mother, and an immigrant who is forced to consider what life would be like if she made different choices along the way. With a supporting cast that includes Ke Huy Quan, Stephanie Hsu, Jamie Lee Curtis, among other phenomenal actors, and directed by Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert– credited together as The Daniels–Everything Everywhere All At Once certainly deserves all the praise it is receiving. 

While I knew the film was already critically acclaimed and so many of my friends recommended it, I was apprehensive that I would enjoy it because of the sci-fi, apocalyptic, elements. Personally, I know that is not my genre, and I steer clear. However, I caved a few weeks ago and watched it for the first time and it has been one of the only things on my mind since.

I did find myself trusting the process in the beginning, but the potential for a great film was evident from the very first scene, so I immediately could tell it would be worth it. From the opening scene, audiences from immigrant families can find a sense of familiarity. It touches on the difficulties of immigration, cultural and intergenerational pressures and trauma, queerness, and complicated relationships with those you love. It weaves these difficult, recognizable themes with action and comedy, making the film tear jerking yet uplifting. 

Like many others, by the end of the film, I was sobbing. I felt incredibly seen and hopeful for the years to come. Everything Everywhere All At Once is an extraordinary film that exemplifies the importance and nuances of community and teaches that we can make decisions within our lives that bring us closer to those around us. There is no shame in asking for help and it is never too late to break harmful cycles, although both take courage.

Kiana Sardari

UC Riverside '24

Third year Media and Cultural Studies and Global Studies double major. Probably at a concert right now.