DIY with Dariana: Keep Your Head in the Game During Testing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Hello HC Cuties! It seems that every time we meet, midterms are on the horizon. It sucks too because all of our Cal-state and private school friends are already on summer break while we are still trudging our way through the quarter. During midterms/finals, it’s such a hassle to have to wake up early to do your hair and makeup. I’m one of those people that CANNOT leave the house without having some sort of makeup on or at least a ponytail in my hair. I seriously envy those people that can just roll out of bed and still look gorgeous as they waltz into class. I can’t magically give you those powers but I can help make your morning hair routine during testing a little bit easier during these stressful times!

Materials:

• Fabric or old t-shirt (Note: the best type of fabric to use would be something stretchy so that it doesn’t squeeze your head off when you make it)
  • Hot glue gun
  • Scissors
  • Small rubber bands

*I’ll be showing you guys how to make 3 different styles but they all start pretty much the same way so I’ll show the first few steps and then give the directions for each one.

Step 1: Lay out your fabric or t-shirt on a flat surface. Cut out two strips (Around three inches in width, or bigger/smaller depending on your preference) about the length of the bottom of the t-shirt (about 36 in.).

Step 2: Pull on the ends a little to stretch out the material.

To make the knotted one:

Make a knot

To make the braided one:

*For this one, cut out one more strip of fabric in order to make the braid. I like to make these really skinny so I give it a little more pull when I’m stretching the fabric.

Cut the excess off when you are happy with the length

To make the Celtic knot one:

Pull ends slowly to make knot

To finish off each one, cut a little rectangle of fabric. Add a dab of hot glue to the ends and wrap around the ends of the fabric. And you’re done!

Happy Crafting, HC Cuties! And may the curve be ever in your favor! 

Darcie Chapman

UC Riverside

UC Riverside

UC Riverside