DIY with Dariana: Easy Valentine’s Day Hairstyles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Hello again my fellow readers! February sure is flying by fast and Valentine’s Day is finally upon us. Since Valentine’s Day has been made to be “the day of romance” since the beginning of time, it not only alienates all of us single people out there, but also makes us forget the true meaning of the holiday which is to celebrate love in general. Love your family, love your friends, love your pets, heck even love that smelly kid that sits next to you in class. I guess what I’m trying to say is that even if you’re single on Valentine’s Day, that shouldn’t discourage you from dressing up and give yourself a little confidence boost (doing my hair and makeup always makes me feel better, no matter what kind of funk I may be in) without all the hassle! Here I’ll show you guys three V-Day approved hairstyles for whatever you may be doing on that special day, whether it be a romantic date with your beau or your pillow!

P.S. I apologize in advance for the horrible quality of the pictures, my room just has weird lighting. 

Materials:

·         Small rubber bands

·         Hair/bobby pins

·         Hairspray

·         Comb

The Romantic Bow

Separate out two sections of hair

Tie them together with a rubber band, but don’t pull the hair out all the way

Separate the bun into two sections

Pin the sections back using bobby pins, making sure they stay securely in place

Get a small section of hair from the little tail that was leftover from the bun 

Wrap it around the center of the two bun sections, making sure that the rubber band is fully covered and secure with bobby pins

And there you go!

Crown of Hearts

Separate your hair into two equal sections, with the part going down the middle

Tie off one side while you start on the other side

Make a curved part from the top of the head to the ear. This part is essential to make the end product actually look like a heart…it took me a few tries to get it right

Gather the hair to the right of the part(or at the base of the head) and tie it so that it doesn’t get in the way when you’re working on the other section

Begin braiding from the base of the head, following the curvature of the part

Finish off the braid and tie the end with an elastic. Repeat procedure on the other side

The end product should look somwthing like this(but more heart-shaped):

You can tie the ends of the braids and leave the rest of the hair down, or braid it all together like this:

Don’t forget to add cute accessories like this to add some sparkle to your hair!

Hairy Hairy Heart

Begin by making a side part

Make a thin braid on one side of the part and tie the ends

Make a second thin braid and tie the ends

Twist the braids to get this sort of swirly shape and hold in place with bobby pins

Make sure that they are both even because you don’t want to have a lop-sided heart!

Tie the ends of the braids together and voila! Your hair is ready to make its appearance!

Happy Valentine’s Day, HC Cuties!!! <3

Darcie Chapman

UC Riverside

UC Riverside

UC Riverside