This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

The DivaCup was given to me in the Survival Kit given to us by Her Campus Nationals. This will be my testimonial for using the product.

The Diva Cup itself is an innovation for women and their periods. It sure has been one for me and my period troubles. It is a small silicone cup manufactured in Canada. The company claims there is no possibility for anything from the silicone to leak into the body. When you begin using the Diva Cup you must boil the cup in hot water for 5 minutes. They have Models 1 and 2. Model 1 is for women 30 and under who have not delivered a baby vaginally or by c-section. Model 2 is for women 30 and over or have delivered vaginally or by c-section.  I’ll be sharing with you my experience with Model 1 and my top 4 favorite things about the DivaCup.

(Photo courtesy of Bravo Tv)

1. No More Period Odor

Let’s be honest no matter who you are your period creates a smell that isn’t pleasant. When wearing pads, you deal with the odor being present due to it being absorbed by a pad. The odor occurs when the blood has come in contact with the oxygen in the air. With the DivaCup the smell along with your period is contained within the silicon cup. So now with the DivaCup you can carry on with your day without feeling self-conscious and feel fresh.

(Photo by Melody Jacob on Unsplash)

2. Comfortable and Intact

I was nervous about the insertion of this menstrual cup and just how intact it would stay.  The directions after you have washed the cup ask you to fold it in one of two options to make insertion easy. After you have folded it you take one hand and place it in your cervix and twist it 360 and slightly push down into the cervix to make sure it has fully opened around the cervix. With the stem at the bottom of the cup outside of your body for removal. Once in place, it felt as though a tampon would when its first inserted but after a few moments walking around it settles in unnoticeable after a while. During my first 8 hours, I honestly forgot it was there. After my first final the way my personality is set up, I met up with my friends and was confident about taking my final that I was dancing and dropped it like it was hot in excitement. I was shocked when I ran to the bathroom after realizing I probably shouldn’t have done that, to know everything was still in place and no leaks! (That’s when I was hooked.) I had a few moments when I felt something like air bubbles in the cervix with the cup. That just indicates to me personally it’s probably ready to be removed.

(Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash)

3. Freedom for 12 Hours

My schedule during the day is jam-packed with class, meetings, and work. I’m lucky if I get to eat some days let alone take my usual 10-minute bathroom breaks when I am on my period.  With the DivaCup you can leave it, while using the restroom and just wipe your self with toilet paper or if you’re extra sanitary like me during this time of the month and use wet wipes. So, you can clean up and notice no leaks.  It’s liberating going about your day during one of the most stressful times of the month knowing you have no worries for the next 12 hours. Just be aware that not everyone will be able to have the comfort of the 12-hour protection that’s why I recommend at least after 8 hours doing a check in with your body but let’s be honest 8 hours is better than every 2 -3 with the alternatives.

(Photo by Gem & Lauris RK on Unsplash)

4. Eco- Friendly

Just by using the DivaCup you no longer have to contribute to the waste that tampons and pads accumulate. If the average woman uses approximately 20 tampons per cycle for 40 years that’s 240 a year, which in total is 9,600 year.  Most pads contain polyethylene plastic (the adhesive that’s used to make the pad stick to your underwear), which is an environmentally harmful pollutant. Most tampons contain chemicals such as dioxin, chlorine, and rayon. While the products sit in landfills, these chemicals get soaked up by the earth and are released as pollution into groundwater and air. After hearing that doesn’t make becoming an Eco-Diva so bad after all. Considering the cost of the DivaCup is a one time only fee and reusable.

If your ready to experience the satisfying results of the DivaCup they can be found at your local Target or Drugstore. While supplies last you can visit our HerCampus Table on Wednesdays at the bell tower or message us on any of our social media platforms and we have 5$ off coupons available.

Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.