stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Dismantling the Male Gaze

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Toxic Media Representation 

Growing up as women, we are taught in corporate media that women are to be objects for the male viewer. When we are younger roaming on the playground we aren’t too aware of this phenomenon. However, as we hit puberty we slowly begin to recognize the neverending pressure of our image. Increasingly, pressures rise to attain a flat stomach and enhanced breasts. We are supposedly pushed to become a made to-go package.

The Male Gaze Theory was known to be originated by feminists who recognized the pattern of depicting women in the world solely for the male viewer. This is a running culture and entitlement of not all, but a collective body of heterosexual men rallying up to view women as objects. This lets them to believe that catcalling and aggressive behavior will allow them to hit the lottery. Whether that be a girl in a Carl’s Junior commercial or a subservient women to society the male viewer almost becomes a neverending attribute. 

As women, how can we combat this issue? Sometimes it seems overwhelming and out of control. It’s this idea of trying to please the male gaze and fit to gender normative behavior patterns. But, there are some things that you can do for you. 

(Photo by Rebellious Fashion

1. Dress How You Want For You 

Often times when women are dressed up, there’s a lingering question of for who? It can be a nuisance constantly trying to explain your cute outfit. The real reason lies in all of us. It’s because we want to look cute for ourselves. Dress in all the colors and textures you desire! Outfits are a away of expression and this should be celebrated as a form of our agency. “It’s fun and should make you feel good about yourself.”

(Photo by Everything Mom

2. Empower Body Positivity  

There’s a standard of sexuality that imposes certain views of women. Whether it is the pressure to be thin or the pressure to be thicker, there’s a push and pull factor. It’s important that as women we welcome all different forms of body shapes. This platform will enable women to embrace body positivity by defying slut-shaming and fat-shaming. It will also be a great way for women to come to terms with and love the body they themselves are in.

(Photo by Tumblr

3. Encourage Other Women 

When you compliment someone it not only lifts up their endorphins, but it also will release endorphins for you. If you find yourself in a negative headspace try to take a moment of encouraging others. As women when we celebrate other women we find ourselves in a win-win situation. “There’s a constant push to make women feel they need to compete with one another, when in reality we need to be supportive of one another.”

Through these different methods, as women we can build a strong community of sisterhood. It’s a welcoming embodiment to empower and uplift other women. No one should be left behind, so let us join this collective bond together!

Yale Chung

UC Riverside '21

An artist. A learner. A proclaimer. Lover of words and empowerment. In my free time I enjoy listening to personalized narratives and petting my dogs. I am a firm believer in freestyle dance and ice cream.