Cure Homesickness on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

One conversation that continues to reoccur with the incoming students on campus is that of homesickness. For some, this is their first time venturing away from home and others are not adjusting to the new environment their college has. Homesickness is a normal reaction for many college students and while there are suggested methods to stay on campus and involve yourself in the campus life. Nothing will put you at ease like the familiarity of your hometown.

Being that many of us Highlanders are California residents and chose to attend the university because of its accessibility. You would think prices within California would be on the thriftier side. Depending on your travel of choice it can be but you have to plan accordingly.

Home for me is the Bay Area, being 400 miles away from home was a huge culture shock for me. After my first few weeks, I felt I would travel back home as often as I could at no expense. I personally made my way from UCRiverside to the Bay Area as much as twice a quarter without breaking my pockets.  How? You might ask.  With my knack for deals and inquisitive nature, I was able to find these methods of travel to be the most efficient for those of us on budget.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Option 1: Bus Companies

I find this to be one of my cheapest options when traveling back home.  The main reasons it’s on the cheaper end of the spectrum is due to the travel times, the occupancy of the buses and the comfortability of the ride. Driving is one of the longer durations for travel. With Buses not only are they driving customers, but they have to make various stops to pick up passengers and provide breaks for both the drivers and riders to stretch and replenish. Buses seats vary from 21-54 depending on the company. The seats are close together with two seats together in a row with little space to stretch out and relax. The seats are standard when it comes to comfortability. With this info, I’d recommend taking the bus during the night time where there are less occupants and you can sleep through the ride. Bring snacks, blankets and neck pillows to provide the best comfort on your trip.

Megabus prices range from $1.00 -$60.00, with a $2.00 charge fee. The closes Megabus stop to Riverside is in Anaheim and only travels to Oakland, San Francisco, San Jose, and Las Vegas. For Flixbus they range from $4.99- $40.00, also have a $2.00 service fee attached to it. Flixbus does have a bus stop near campus within a 5-mile radius. Located in front of the Muffin Top Bakery on Spruce Street. As of now, the stop isn’t labeled with a sign, but the stop is located right in front of the bakery on the street curb.

(Photo Courtesy of Pixabay Photographer Freedommail.)

Option 2: Rideshare

This is a fun way to take a ride home and meet new friends. There is a Facebook group called UCR Rideshare. Where you can post where you are leaving from and going to and what you will charge per rider. I notice sometimes drivers don’t post a price, and that’s a good time to offer a price your comfortable paying. The students in the chat must be approved first, to try to verify that all UCR students are in that chat. Why I say “try” is because there’s no for sure way to ensure they are UCR students but I haven’t seen any incidents occur from the Rideshare page. With that said make sure you take your own precautions for your safety. Let someone know who you are riding with, when you leave and stay in contact with someone while riding.

Zimride is a rideshare service through enterprise.  Its target is to have students carpool to the same school or you can be apart of the company version. Allowing you to be more acquainted with your coworkers/fellow students. The website that requires you make a profile for you to be a part of a secure network of other students from UCR. Once your profile is made you put in where you want to go and how you’d like to get there. The drivers post how many seats are available, along with smoking musical preferences. Then you get matched with a ride or a rider in your network. Then you all can chat and set up the arrangement. Once the ride is over you pay and leave a review.

(Photo by Richard Jaimes on Unsplash)

Option 3: Flights

Southwest Airlines is your only choice in affordable options for flights. Ontario is the closest airport to Riverside. The flights out of Ontario start at $100 unless you book maybe within 6 months in advance. I have flown out of San Diego for prices starting at $69 within a 2 month from your expected departure date. They also have surprise deals for specific dates you have to be on the lookout for through their email list or social media. One way flights can range from $29,$49,$69… at the lowest, I’ve seen the price.

(Photo by Gabriel Crismariu on Unsplash)

I have tried all these options and I have to say that I have been pleased with the end result of each option.  While traveling home on a budget you acquire more experiences and potentially meet new friends from school. With meeting new friends, you all together can help each other cope with the distance from home.  If you decide on taking frequent visits home remember to plan them within moderation. Traveling back home should help rejuvenate you to continue to the rest of your term at school. That’s why I recommend traveling home only once or twice a quarter max.  Stay safe on your travels and enjoy your time back home with your loved ones.

Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.