Cool Ways to Beat the Heat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Keep your drink cool all day: The night before a hot day, pour half of your water bottle, Gatorade, or whatever refreshing drink of your choice into a cup. Then put the bottle and remaining liquid into the freezer over night. The next morning before you leave your room, pour the other half of your drink back into the bottle. Voila! Your drink will be perfectly chilly all day long!

Eat light: Even though that fried rice and orange chicken combo plate might sound tempting, opt for something lighter, like a salad or sushi roll. All the extra grease in that Panda will leave you feeling lethargic and heavier throughout the rest of the day. As a result the heat will take a greater toll on you. Eat light to escape the heat!

Wear loose and light clothing: You might think that that black micro mini dress would be cute and minimal, but you’re better off wearing some shorts and a flow-y top. Clothing that hugs your body only raises your internal temperature, making you perspire like crazy. Also, choosing clothing items that are light in color will help keep you cool; dark colors absorb light and heat, where as light colors reflect it. The looser the better and the cooler you’ll be!

Don’t let your blood boil: Just this little trick can make all the difference; while in the restroom, run cool water over your wrists. By doing this you are cooling down the blood that runs close to the surface of your skin in your wrists. Consequently, this newly cooled blood will spread to the rest of your body, cooling you down!

With these tips and tricks, the heat ain’t got nothin’ on an HC girl!

Dakota Tu

UC Riverside

Hello my name is Dakota and I am a media and cultural studies major at UC Riverside. I am originally from Alameda, CA, in the San Francisco Bay Area. I enjoy being a member of the Student Alumni Association and Habitat for Humanity. I love to play sports and be active, though my main passion is running. I am in fact a foodie! In my spare time you can find me cooking/baking and working out, contradictory I know, but I wouldn't have it any other way!
UC Riverside

UC Riverside