This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

We all know those annoying concert goers that make the experience a little less magical than it’s supposed to be. I’ve come across my fair share, as I tend to love rowdy concerts and crowds. Nevertheless, I’m here (not to warn you about them) to warn you not to be one of them.

1. Don’t be the “Drunk Before the Show” concert goer:

By far some of the most annoying people at concerts are the ones that show up drunk. The gig hasn’t even started and they’re slurring and slinging their arms around everyone. So completely irritating. Don’t be the asshole that everyone gives the evil eye to.

2. Don’t be the “Hits on Every Lonely Person” concert goer:

Believe it or not, people are at concerts to see the show. NOT to meet the love of their lives, NOT to hook up with some random creep that lurks on lonely concert goers. Introduce yourself, fine. Be friendly, fine. DO NOT PUT YOUR HANDS/ARM ON/AROUND SOMEONE, OR TRY TO GRIND ON THEM (especially if they ask you not too).

3. Don’t be the “Out of the Pit” mosher:

There is a reason people stand on the sides of the stage, away from the pit. That reason is generally because they don’t want to mosh, but for some weird unknown reason there are always at least four to five assholes that feel the need to mosh outside of the pit. Not only do they mosh outside of the pit, but they run away from security when they are spotted.

Please don’t be this asshole, someone could get seriously hurt.

4. Don’t be the “Tag Along” concert goer:

It’s understandable to be the person at a show that doesn’t really know the band or the music, because a friend had an extra ticket. It’s cool if you get into it and give the people and the sound a chance, but don’t be the person that stands around rolling their eyes at everyone.

5. Don’t be the “Get a Room” couple:

There is absolutely nothing okay about being the couple that has been making out for most of the show. A kiss every now and then is okay, but if everyone is swaying and headbanging and you guys haven’t come up for air while being in the midst of that, you’re the annoying couple. Making out leads to grinding and grinding leads to touching. Please, I beg you. Don’t be that couple.

6. Don’t be the “In Line Asshole”:

There are always people who cut in lines or cause drama within lines whether it is at the entry doors, merch table or even the bathroom. Just wait your turn, don’t push, don’t argue, don’t take too long. Get what you need, do what you have to do and quickly exit the line. People who take forever in bathrooms/ merch stands/ make going into a venue difficult need to do it faster. Don’t be an in line asshole that makes concert going difficult for everyone.

7. Don’t be the “Takes Pictures Throughout the Entire Concert” concert goer:

Why go to a concert if you’re going to be taking pictures the whole time. Remember that there are people behind you trying to see the performer. It’s great to create memories and save them, but it isn’t something you should be doing the entire show. Concerts are for dancing, headbanging, singing and releasing pent up energy and anger, not for showing off to people sitting at home.

All in all, just be safe, be courteous, be energetic and be positive. Express as much as you want too, without interfering with someone else’s concert experience. Drink lots of water before a show and be aware of where you’re standing. Don’t accidentally stand near the pit and if someone comes around to mess with you, don’t be afraid to throw around some elbows.

April 15 marked Mindless Self Indulgence‘s last concert before their hiatus and I was lucky enough to attend. Check the band out and here are some picture my good friend took of them rocking the shit out of the stage.

(pictures by twitter user @mysweetreveng3)

just a preamble
UC Riverside

UC Riverside